Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kick drum synth ?

Quote Originally Posted by sephi View Post
    If you have one set of 808 samples, one set of 909 samples, and one set of acoustic drum samples, you can make pretty much anything you want through layering, distortion, compression, reverb... I have Drumazon, Kick, Battery, and probably some other drum VSTs I'm forgetting, but I always end up just using samples and shaping the sound I want with Transient Master, various distortion and saturation units, etc. Most of the samples in genre sample packs are just 808 and 909 samples that have been put through several phases of saturation, compression, expansion, EQ, etc. Using a "drum synth", whether outboard or VST, is mostly going to use the same stuff (envelope, distortion, EQ, reverb, etc.), just built into the hardware or drum-synth VST instead of coming from your DAW or a third party VST.

Nicky Romero's "Kick" (v2) VST is good for jumping straight to "I want more of a click, and a fat distorted tail" decisions, without having to use a 909 or 808 emulation interface. It's pretty cheap too.
    thats insane, makes me feel like such a noob

Quote Originally Posted by djshire View Post
    Any subtractive soft synth with a sine wave can be used as a kick synth, it just takes some work
    I've done a techno-y kick using a sine wave layered with a triangle wave... it wasn't "your average untz-kick", rather an oomph-one...

But now that I gave it a second thought, using a synth for kick can have an edge over a layered/sampled one... at least it's faster and a bit more convenient, albeit in the long run (esp. if you're layering several synth-based kicks) it can be heavy on the CPU (depending on the amount of processing per track/sample of course)

I have Sonic Academy Kick 2 - You can do probably any kick You want on it. Also some time ago I bought Arturia Drumbrute - and IMO it's really awesome. You can layer 2 kicks + low toms to have wider frequency responce - maybe it's lillte limited but the sound is incredible.

Best regards,

Tomek

the starting point for kick drum synths was for me putting a fast pitch envelope downwards on a self-oscillating filter (emax1 r.i.p.) careful now that resonance setting could get loud if you turn it up high. or you could use a sine wave oscillator. I think aphex twin does this but with craftier patching and mod synth technology. like distortion. I never tried it but adding noise at some stage might work, like a band pass filter. cant be bothered really don't have time, I just use samples.

Sonic Academy's Kick 2 is my go-to

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    What I've noticed about using kick synths. The bottom end sits together right, much easier. Using samples, even thought it might be in key, have the problem of alignment still. There's a lot of sound/distortion in samples you end up spending time to remove or fix. Any reverbed clicks, claps, top end etc, will have predelays not in time with your bpm.
    I've just bought these:

[link removed as per rules - #12 - Spam will not be tolerated. It will be deleted and the member posting it will be disciplined. If you have music or equipment to sell, start a thread in the relevant forum section. Any commercial, retail selling, or promotional posts require a vendor account (please see the vendor FAQ for more information). If your first (and only) post is "check out my site" or any other link it WILL be deleted. The same goes for members looking for DJs. Threads like that will be considered spam and removed.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/faq.p...sandguidelines ]

They don't seem to have the problem you mention. Or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Manu; 05-19-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Try Drumatic