Thread: Scam attempt!!

Wink Scam attempt!!

Hey guys.

I just wanted to inform you guys that there is a scam attempt happening right now, and I was targeted as a victim. Luckily I smelled the scam from a mile away with each bit of conversation that happened, and knew to stay away. If you get someone texting you from a 205 area code (Alabama) named Rosey or Rossi, STAY AWAY!!! Here's how it happened:

First I got a random text message from a non local number asking me to DJ their son's wedding. Not wanting to shy away from business, I said that I'd be happy to help, but would need more information about the event to have an accurate quote so they know what the cost would be. I thought it was weird that they aren't calling from a local number, but hey if they heard about my business from a reference I'm doing okay via word of mouth.

They don't really mention that they have to sign a Contract when I texted them back, which was red flag #1. Then when I shot them an (honest) price, they didn't flinch and went ahead with it. Unfortunately, it seems like 95% of the Clients I meet with either haggle or shy away because I'm out of their price range.

Again, I mentioned a Contract and they didn't really acknowledge it. Now I KNOW there's something up. Then they want me to get Clover Merchant because their payments are always declined with Companies like Square (who I happened to have signed up with). Sorry, not getting a whole POS system for a mobile device and for ONE customer.

Right now, they think that we are to meet this week to collect payment and have a Contract signed. I'm still working on how I should call them out or outright just block their number. Sure I could cut my time with them, but f*cking with them sounds good right now. Maybe I'll ask if they like Tiny Tim on repeat, along with some Sam Kinison right after, just to break up the slow stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know to be vigilant, and to make sure you know who's contacting you. I've been targeted for another scam before, so people will try anything to get your hard earned $$.

Respectfully,

Andrew

Ask for upfront cash 20% of total price, and add a fixed fee for accommo****** credit payments, see how they react. Get their complete names, cross check that on facebook or something.

Thanks Fusion
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Has happened to me several times. The text attempt, not the actual scam.

They for sure wont meet. They will text (never call) usually the same day and cancel the meet (citing health issues or a family emergency), then they will want to make a payment with a CC. This is where I stopped on the first one and told them I never take a payment without meeting first (I knew it was shady, like you said, they dropped tons of hints). They didnt reply after that.

So I researched this scam and this is usually how it works... They will over pay you. Then they request you send the overcharged money back to them at a different address due to their mistake... telling you to keep a little for yourself.

You bill $750. They send $1,750. They write back and go "Oops, I added a 1 at the beginning. Can you refund me back $750 to this address xxx@xxx.com. Please keep the other $250 to make up for my mistake".

That last part plays to our greedy nature. Its what gets most people to agree to the refund "$250 for nothing right!?"

They get their $750 and disappear. Very shortly after, the real owner of that credit card reports the fraud. Your account gets deducted $1,750 for the fraudulent chargeback. And guess what, you just lost $750.

Nigerian scam, there's a similar one upon car sales transactions. They'll overpay, claim the buyer is out somewhere overseas and ask you to leave the difference in the glove box. They then take the money and the car.

Like I said, in case of doubt ask for xx% upfront in cash, make that non negociable as part of the contract they have to sign, you won't hear from them again.

Most of the ones I get say they are having an event (usually a kids event... like I want to play a kids event anyway) & ask if I take a credit card. I usually give them the finger, take a pic of it, send it to them & tell them; "yep, & here's my credit card reader."
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

This song explains it all.

Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans

Every industry every country there is always someone HAPPY TO WASTE YOUR TIME!
    OPOAT