Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For my Scratch Djs.

I'm guessing everybody already knows this. But a good exercise for crabs when you're sitting (or standing) around doing nothing, is to make an audible finger snap with all four fingers individually. Either on both hands at the same time, or alternating from one hand to the other. Try to increase the speed until you mess up, then start over & do it again.

I think a good time to do it is when you're watching TV by yourself.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Indeed! I'd like to start doing cuts with my left hand, but I suck right now. I have a old vestax fader that I have on a key chain, when I'm bored I'll fiddle around with it. Practice makes perfect.

On another note,
    I'm sick and tired of the (((Ahhhh))) sample... I went ahead and started sampling movie quotes of my own which makes practice a lot more interesting.
    The Super Seal collection are ok, I have all the old Dj rectangle battle breaks series. I transfered em all to digital.
    Any of you guys have a favorite scratch record or sample you like to practice with?
    (((DJF member since 06')))

Quote Originally Posted by DJArmani View Post
    Learning the crab scratch as well and I'm in the same exact boat! I cannot get them down in combos just by themselves and they don't flow at all.
    I was getting frustrated also man, but the real key is to relax that fader hand. If you have the 3 click crab down like akswun stated just relax that hand and let it flow.

I've noticed recently that throwing the 3 click crab into a combo comes easier to execute if I set up my fingers properly on the fader. I usually use my middle finger as the first to hit the fader on all other scratches, before I throw the crab I'll switch to using the ring finger.
    You have to tweak it to fit what flows best for you.
    That's just a little adjustment I made and it REALLY helps with going in and out of the crab scratch.

Now that I know how to use it in a combo, believe or not I rarely actually use it. Lol it has it's place... it's like a garnish.

Man, there are sooo many scratch records out there. And as much as I get sick of the ahhh and fresh. When I'm scratching with others I tend to resort back to it because I can consistently get what I'm trying to convey, scratch wise, easily.
    Phrasing and word play is fun and keeps things funky. Again, there are a ton of scratch records out there. Personal favs are combinations from the masters, pyc(all vol.) and mostly all my 7" that I use on my portable(baby seals & Triad breaks). Also, I love phrasing and wordplay while using ultra pitch on my pdx. Some would say it's easier because the hyper pitched sample getting slowed down gives you a longer sample. But whatever, easier or not, post a file bitches. As much as I love my 12s id rather cut on a pdx. Hell if rather cut on my pmc as well than my 909. Something about the xfader and the clickiness.

Yeah, lol I end up throwing that Ahhhh sample on too. Lol

That Numark pt-01 scratch looks pretty fly.
    I'll be scooping one up pretty soon. Could be fun to have at a bbq or beachside session.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushgroove View Post
    Yeah, lol I end up throwing that Ahhhh sample on too. Lol

That Numark pt-01 scratch looks pretty fly.
    I'll be scooping one up pretty soon. Could be fun to have at a bbq or beachside session.

Meh, that switch fader isn't really much. You're better off with a Jesse Dean or a Raiden or Mixfader or even the new raidenxinnofader. At least Numark didn't Jack the price up of the pt 01.

Yeah that "switch" looks iffy to me also.
    That raiden with the innofader is sold out at the moment. :/

The original pt 01 is probably my main choice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushgroove View Post
    Yeah that "switch" looks iffy to me also.
    That raiden with the innofader is sold out at the moment. :/

The original pt 01 is probably my main choice though.
    Original or newer it's all the same. I have to say the newer scratch one might be worth it since they added the switch. Might be an easy mod to add your own xfader.

I like that they made the tonearm/cart damn near skip proof... so that may be another good selling point over the pt-01. Not that I'm gonna be scratching upside down or anything, but you figure since the fader/switch is mounted on the deck it'd jump here and there