Thread: Pre-Wire Trussing

Pre-Wire Trussing

Anyone have any good ideas on pre/wiring trussing?
    I am currently in the middle of making a "control center" case that a buddy of mine made that works great. Houses 2 laptops (1 for Show Xpress, the other to run Zap shots/Montages). All of this is prewired in a small controller case with HDMI Splitter, DMX Branch, Wireless DMX, Show Xpress, etc... so all you have to do is plug in your HDMI to the splitters, run them to the TVs, and then make your trails for DMX lighting. Nice all in one compact solution for lighting/video.

Next step is to pre wire the trussing. 99.9% of the time I do vertical trusses with moving heads on top and pucks on the bottom for uplighting. About 50% of the time I mount TVs on 2 of the trusses for zap shots. About 20% of the time I build up 2 of my trusses with 1.5ft sticks to make my show have 2 8ft trusses and 2 6.5ft trusses. My thoughts on prewire is to tape a 3 way extention cord towards the top of the truss. This can power my moving head, wash light and tv. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-8-f...2611/204667705

Bottom would have something like this that can power the puck for uplighting, then just run a regular extension cord off this to the power outlet.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...A-05/204836952

I think if I tape it up enough (without going crazy), this would save tons of time powering up as I would do short power runs to the fixtures (1 or 2 foot cords).

Next thought would be DMX but I don't always use wireless so at times I would go top down from moving head (if using wireless) or bottom up if not. Thoughts here unless running 2 lines in opposite directions?

Making a snake of AC and DMX only works if the set up is the same every time.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Agree. I think I may just do power. That should help cut down setup time along with the rack that I'm building. Will post pics when finished!

Used to buy mechanics droplights from Sears..On a reel under tension..Cut the ends off and used as speaker cable. Others were used as extensions. Hid the reels in the back of the rack...Time to rap up..unplug and give a tug,,rolled themselves up they did

Not sure I have a photo on hand but for my truss totem setup but I have a removable velcro power box that attaches at the back of the steel base plate. It has 4 female Edison plugs, all I have to do is run one power cable to my truss for this box. For DMX, each totem is daisy chained between the 2 - 3 fixtures (using a splitter helps wonders) so each truss only has one DMX cable running from it. It's modular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I would literally throw everyone that's under 18 under a bus.

Wanted to share a project I worked on. My buddy actually did this exact thing first, shows me pics and had to create one myself as it is such a time saver.

For all of us DJ's that also run lighting and video (zaps/montages), setting up that stuff just to run that takes longer than anything else. So created this flight case that has EVERYTHING already hooked up. Just have to connect power to it , plug in HDMI's from the TVs and connect DMX cables and good to go!

Just finished it up yesterday and haven't used it yet but super excited about it. If anyone has any ideas on how to improve certainly all ears! The laptops will stay in the case at all times and is secured with heavy duty velcro. I plan on keeping this in the front seat of my van (center console area) so it doesn't get banged around as the top laptop is VERY close to the lid. The bottom one is sitting on a piece of foam I put in so not worried about that one.

Pre-wired electrical on the truss as well.