Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Help (Latin? Hispanic?)

Music Help (Latin? Hispanic?)

Heyo!

Need some music help. I DJ (mostly) weddings in Eastern NC USA. I specialize in American Top 40 and Beach Music (people call it shag music here). I have a wedding coming in 1.5 weeks where the Mother of the bride is Dominican. They just informed me the other day that they will have a good amount of family from out of town and they will want some "Latin" dance music.

To be honest this is my weak point. I asked them to provide a list of songs or artists so I am well prepared, and the bride said she will... but Im still waiting on that list.

So, if I wanted to bolster up my "Latin" or "Hispanic" party music, do you guys have any good suggestions? Think of something along the lines of Daddy Yankee and Don Omar. I am open to purchasing compilations (preferred) or even singles if they are something that are well known and fun to dance to.

I understand there are parts of the country that this genre of music is a must have... but here is almost never requested. Thanks for any suggestions!

Don Omar and Daddy Yankee are Reggaeton artists.
    There is a ton of them and many good songs. You're screwed.

For Daddy Yankee, you'll need at least: Gasolina, La Despedida, Limbo, Lovumba
    Don Omar - Danza Kuduro, Dile, Pura Vida, Taboo, Zumba

Limbo and Danza Kuduro should go over well with everyone.

You'll probably also need some salsa and some bachata.
    Last edited by KirkMcD; 08-22-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
    Don Omar and Daddy Yankee are Reggaeton artists.
    There is a ton of them and many good songs. You're screwed.
    For Daddy Yankee, you'll need at least: Gasolina, La Despedida, Limbo, Lovumba
    Don Omar - Danza Kuduro, Dile, Pura Vida, Zumba
    You'll probably also need some salsa and maybe some bachata.
    I did a half mexican wedding once where they requested bachata and machata, I have some of that. I asked the Mom and she said "Bachata? Were not Mexican" ... so there in lies my biggest obstacle, knowing the difference between the music of cultures far removed from what I specialize in.

Those titles will help a bunch and I will be sure to get them and practice with them in the next week. Thanks.

This song is currently popular
    Nicky Jam ft Enrique Iglesias - El Perdon
    Nicky Jam ft Enrique Iglesias - Forgiveness (English Version)

I just did a party split between Peruvians and Dominicans. The Dominicans kept asking for bachata and the Peruvians kept asking for salsa.
    It was almost a fiasco.
    Last edited by KirkMcD; 08-22-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
    This song is currently popular
    Nicky Jam ft Enrique Iglesias - El Perdon
    Nicky Jam ft Enrique Iglesias - Forgiveness (English Version)

I just did a party split between Peruvians and Dominicans. The Dominicans kept asking for bachata and the Peruvians kept asking for salsa.
    It was almost a fiasco.
    Thanks for those. That's how my half Mexican half America went last month. People requesting bachata and The Temptations, one half would dance and then the other half would dance. They even sat on separate sides of the rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyL View Post
    Thanks for those. That's how my half Mexican half America went last month. People requesting bachata and The Temptations, one half would dance and then the other half would dance. They even sat on separate sides of the rooms.
    Yeah, those kind of events are not much fun.

I think if I was in your situation, I would contact the bride again. The family knows what they want, but if you try to guess what flavor of Latin music they want, the dance floor could "blow up" with everyone packing it... or it could "blow up", flinging your guests everywhere except on the dance floor.

Probably 95% of my events, I never get any Latin requested. The other 5%, they never say anything until that night, then it's, "Oh, by the way, we have some Spanish/Mexican/Puerto Rican/Guatemalan guests here, and they asked if you could play some Latin music." I always ask them, "What kind of Latin music? Any specific songs/artists?" I tell them that I don't speak enough Spanish to know what the songs are saying, and I don't get enough requests to know what is popular. Most of the time, they will look through my list and find a few songs, or give me a specific type (bachata, merengue, etc).

I have turned down some Quince events, traditional 15th birthday celebrations, because I don't know the music well enough to feel that I would be successful and provide the level of service they deserve.

Since you know the kind of genre that they want why don't you search online for a " Top 20 " list and then plug those into Google Play or Apple Music radio and take down what the app brings to you? Or, type the songs into Youtube and see what other songs Youtube recommends. Another option could be to find a "mix" on Soundcloud.com and write down the names of the songs in the mix. Hope this helps a little at the very least.

Elvis Crespo Suavemente is the jam.

Quote Originally Posted by DjZombeat View Post
    Since you know the kind of genre that they want why don't you search online for a " Top 20 " list and then plug those into Google Play or Apple Music radio and take down what the app brings to you? Or, type the songs into Youtube and see what other songs Youtube recommends. Another option could be to find a "mix" on Soundcloud.com and write down the names of the songs in the mix. Hope this helps a little at the very least.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hightopfade View Post
    Elvis Crespo Suavemente is the jam.
    thanks, they did ask for Elvis Crespo

I'm Dominican Myself so I should be able to give you some good advice.
    make sure you do not play too much reggaeton as Reggaeton is not dominican.
    you will need to play mostly merengue and bachata.
    let me know if you need any more assistance. any of these songs are popular with Dominicans.
    Do not play any Cumbia or south AMerican or Mexican music as it will not go well.

for bachata play the following.
    Romeo santos propuesta indecente and hilito or pretty much anything from romeo santos.
    Raulin Rodrigues- Esta noche and como seras tu.
    Frank Reyes- Noche de pasion and vivir sin ti.
    Prince Royce stand by me and also darte un beso.
    Zacarias ferreira - Solo tu and mi estrella.

Merengue.
    Anthony santos- Cojelo ahi and no te vallas.
    Los rosarios- Duena del swing and video clip.
    Banda Gorda- Tu muere aqui.
    Fefita la Grande- Hablar ingles.

Salsa.
    Chiquito team band- Llamada de mi ex.
    March Anthony- Vivir mi vida.