Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Vinyl to MP3 Equipment

BTW if you're a Technics fan boy that wants to have a Technics direct drive turntable in your Hi-Fi system. I would suggest the getting an SP-10 MK2, SP-10 MK2A, or SP-10 mk3.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 11-01-2016 at 07:07 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Given that the only moving part of a 1200's (or Hanpin's) motor is the platter itself, I would think that the motor noise is comparable with a belt drive. But I'm just being pedantic; I agree that there's no point in buying a 1200 purely for ripping.

Actually, I'd be curious to know how that compares with the oscillations of an on-board transformer, or any turntable with an AC motor.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

Motor noise and 1210? lol
    Audiophile snobs rejected it not because of noise but because it was seen as a dj table and because it was bashed by the bribed critics who understood well the real threat it presents for the traditional western made tt market. The very same motor and tonearm was featured in the non-dj versions 1600, 1700 and 1800.

Yes dd motors are noisy, but different ones, this one was unique design.

With the unparalleled speed stability, more than decent isolation and tonearm, getting 1210 for archiving is the least you can do if you want proper results.

The debate between direct and belt drive has been ongoing for as long as Technics has been making them.. which I think was first in 1969.

The basic argument for belt drive is lower noise.. both mechanical and electrical noise.
    The basic argument for direct drive is speed accuracy, wow/flutter.

Keeping in mind that although the direct drive MUST use an electronic motor drive circuit (and that's how it gets its very steady speed), belt drive turntables CAN use them, they just usually don't because it's simpler not to and usually not necessary to get really good specs.

So yea you can search the internet and you'll find a ton written about this topic. But I think the reason that the belt drive remains the dominant system in hifi turntables is because getting low noise is really easy compared to direct drive, and while the direct drive has some advantages in wow specs, and sometimes in flutter.. there are other times when flutter is more of a problem in direct drive. And keep in mind that as I said, it's not like belt drive turntables CAN'T use crystal controlled motor drives to get better speed accuracy, it's just that they get good enough accuracy from the power line frequency that they don't feel the need. But I am pretty sure that some of them do use that type of drive system.

From our (DJ) perspective the Technics is obviously a great turntable and the sound is just fine.. and for us it seems obvious that any slight improvement in sound quality is not worth giving up all the advantages of the Technics drive system. But in when you are not a DJ, most of the things we like about the Technics don't matter at all and people are looking at turntables with higher isolation, lower mass arms (eg carbon fiber straight arm), etc... Things that affect sound quality that we don't think about as much because we are focused on the drive system.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 11-01-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    If you don't already have a 1200 & you're buying it primarily for ripping records. I would spend that $600 on a Sony PS-HX500. Just plug a USB cable from the record player to your computer & start recording. Although I don't know what cart is included with the turntable, I would guess it's a fairly good one.

12:27
    Lols built in phono amp and ADC at lowest possible cost. Doesnt even know what cart it is or even if its decent.

Will definitely make great recordings though /s

So long as it has "Dubly" bult in, I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJNo View Post
    Doesnt even know what cart it is or even if its decent.
    Does it really matter? Even if you upgrade the cart, you're still ahead if have to pay the same amount to get a Technics turntable.

It's going to sound better than an SL-1200 series turntable. Plus you won't need to buy a phono preamp & an audio interface. And if you want to upgrade to a better phono preamp & audio interface. You can because you can switch it from line out to phono out

But it's Sony & they are marketing it as a turntable that makes really good sounding recordings. So it's most likely that it comes with a good sounding cart. (Sony & Yamaha are the two companies that make the best sounding mid level hi-fi equipment in my opinion.)
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

In the absence of specs and comparison reviews, I wouldn't assume anything about the quality.
    For that price, you can get some known-good gear eg. a Rega or Pro-Ject turntables+cart combo with separate USB Preamp (that can be used with other turntables later) costs less.

Also for less money you can buy a used high quality turntable ($150-range), a used Focusrite 2i2, and have enough money left to buy a serious hifi cart and separate phono preamp new. And then when you're done you're left with a really nice setup that includes the 2i2 which you can use for other things.

I upgraded to a numark ns6 not too long ago. I pulled out one of my stanton st8-150s and am planning on converting some of my old records. I have a ton of tracks I would love to use in my mixes and do not have the desire to simply play them as vinyl into the 4th channel live. I am going to record into serato and save the tracks that way. It will take awhile, but it will be worth it.