Thread: 24"L x 24"W x 30"H platform for large speaker tops???

24"L x 24"W x 30"H platform for large speaker tops???

I have a pair of JBL STX835p tops that I need to run at a minimum 30 inches off the ground or stage. I want to get the horns up higher and I often run a pair of intimidator 355's on top of the cabinets. The tops weigh 126 pounds each and do not have a poll mount so I need some suggestions as to how I can get them up in the air. Running them on top of subs is most often not ideal because I prefer to run my subs in the center. Here is what I was thinking but I have not found anything reasonably priced...

Option 1. Plyometric Jump boxes that have a flared bottom for added stability. The speaker cabinets have a 23 inch width and depth so I need a 24 in.² top which would then flair at the base at around 26-28 inches or so. Since I Would have to have them shipped, the large size of the box kills me on shipping. Pair totals just under $500. An added benefit is the carry handle holes that come on two sides of the box would allow me to run a tiedown strap to either side to crank lock the speaker to the base. I would then add a rhino liner material to make it durable and black to match speakers.

Option 2. I found a few companies that make custom width truss. I have found 24 inch pieces of truss but only in lengths of 4 foot, 8 foot and 10 foot. I only want 30 to 36 inches max. Then I would need a 24" x 24" top base plate and a larger floor base plate. I could also crank the tiedown straps with this set up and have it be really stable. I sent out a quote request and I am waiting to hear back but I expect the price to exceed the plyometric box option.

Any other ideas? I guess I could make boxes myself and I am handy enough to do so but do not know if I can cut the angle with the wider base plyometric box. Making a square box is about as good as I would be able to do. Not sure if it would be sturdy if someone bumped it.
    Last edited by Djgroovetech; 08-07-2016 at 11:19 PM.

I have and use this. Adjustable and fold flat for transport.

Height positions: 24" to 33" - 61 to 84cm
    Usable width range: 29" to 47" - 74 to 118cm
    Usable depth range: 17" to 27" - 44 to 69cm

$ 80 delivered to the lower 48
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

24"L x 24"W x 30"H platform for large speaker tops???

Quote Originally Posted by BillESC View Post
    I have and use this. Adjustable and fold flat for transport.

Height positions: 24" to 33" - 61 to 84cm
    Usable width range: 29" to 47" - 74 to 118cm
    Usable depth range: 17" to 27" - 44 to 69cm

$ 80 delivered to the lower 48
    I have one of these as well.😊 I use it as my primary DJ table. Bought a 30"x30"X1" top for it, and had a custom bag made to carry it in. My Controller case sits on top with room for my wireless mouse and keyboard. I use a rack with two computers mounted within (no laptop) with dual 22" monitors. The monitors mount in my controller case, and the rack slides under the table... very compact, and I have a folding director's chair that allows me to sit or stand behind the table, remaining at a constant height. It all works together nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really good for a stage, but I can't imagine that 33 inches is enough lift for most boxes on crowd level. When I stack my dual 15's at 40 inches (height of the subs I use with them) it it's barely adequate, 45 inches and up is really best for them.. which puts the center of the HF horn at around 83 inches (a little less than 7 feet off the ground). If it's a large venue then I want to go a little higher than that.

I suggest measuring your boxes for the distance from the base to the center of the HF.. you want that to be at minimum 6 1/2 feet up.