Thread: Does the DJ have any responsibility for guest safety?

Arrow Does the DJ have any responsibility for guest safety?

Wanted to start this conversation after the Orlando nightclub attack, bounce some ideas around, maybe make the industry a little safer.

As a DJ, how much thought have you given to the safety of your patrons? Perhaps it's time for DJ's to get a safety briefing from management before getting on stage, where they go over evacuation plans, fire extinguisher locations, duress words, etc? Maybe there should be an emergency action checklist in the booth to follow in case something happens?

I think DJs should take a more active role in guest safety. We generally have a good vantage point of the venue, and should have good situational awareness of what's happening on the dance floor. In the Orlando attack, many people said they didn't know what to think when the shooting started, they weren't sure if it was part of the music. The DJ would know that loud bangs weren't part of the track. The DJ usually has quick access to a microphone. Kill the music and you now have a public address system. If you know the venue's evacuation plan and exit locations, you can give instructions for an orderly evacuation. (then run out the back door) In the Station nightclub fire, the audience initially thought that the fire was part of the show. The band instantly knew it wasn't, and maybe should have started a proper evacuation.

I probably take things to an extreme level. I carry a trauma kit with me to every event. My job has given me some advanced first aid training, and I'd feel horrible if someone was hurt in front of me but I couldn't help them. This has come in handy before, had an event where a lady passed out from dehydration. One pack of oral re-hydration salts later, she was feeling much better. Band-aids and medical tape have been handy too. (It is not a replacement for gaffers tape, the residue is VERY hard to clean off.) I also have things to handle major injuries like tourniquets, chest seals, airways, decompression needles, etc.
    Last edited by Dix; 07-02-2016 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Gun related discussion

The chances of a terrorist attack in a club I'm in are about as close to zero as you can get, but there are other things that are unfortunately very commonplace. There are clubs that give me a handset and instruct me to "press this button here" if I see anything physical, and it sends a signal goes into the earpieces of the security crews.

Most clubs want the music going no matter what, but I do bring it down if there's a fight so security can clearly talk. If there was a real catastrophe yea I'd cut the music and talk the best I could. The closest I've ever come to that (and this is after over 1000 club gigs) is when the power went out during a violent winter storm. I had no mic but just yelled as best I could where the exits were.

I thought that DJ triggered gunshot samples was a cliche long gone, but it was mentioned so often by the Orlando survivors that maybe their DJ still used them. I know I never will after that.

Banned
    Terrorism can strike anywhere. The Orlando attack should make everybody re-rethink things. I wouldn't think that they would attack a random nightclub but it being a gay one definitely fits their ideology. It can happen anywhere. There will be more attacks. The next one that isn't typical will surprise/shock you as well.

I commend the OP for being prepared. Firstly, you should protect number one (you). Secondly, you should try to help/protected others.

But sadly, others will learn the hard way. We can suggest DJs (as it is applicable) to carry a basic first aid kits, emergency equipment (small fire extinguisher) and basic items to survive (maybe a blade of some kind, something to escape through a door or wall such as a pry bar that can double as a weapon, or even a firearm (if it is possible) but people will spend more time denying the threat or making excuses for not doing it versus just doing it.

How many of you keep extra stuff in your car? I keep jumper cables regardless that I have AAA or the free one from Ford Motor company, first aid kit, I have a small gas can (maybe too small but at least I have one), light jacket plus rain resistant light jacket, a couple of flash lights, a couple of tools (but I should add more), road flares, gloves, I used to have a couple bottles of water stashed for emergencies but they got removed for vehicle body repair, I'm on the lookout for a full size spare since I many cars come with "donuts", I almost bought a real jack because I hate jacks that come with cars, and I have more to add.

I would rather have it and not need it versus needing it and not having it.

This is exactly why I don't drink at gigs, or do anything which would impair my awareness and judgement. In my opinion, being a leader and making an effort to prepare yourself to be able to offer aid and direction, is a good trait that is beneficial to practice everywhere. But when you make yourself the center of attention, and the guests will look to you first if something happens, it now becomes your responsibility too. That's why I make a mental note of the locations of exits an emergency supplies, keep up-to-date CPR/AED and first aid certifications, carry a first aid kit and basic supplies, and most importantly: pay attention to the room. Situational awareness can save critical seconds.

Not saying a DJ has to double as a security guard and a medic. If you can't solve a problem, at least you are in the best position to see it first, and communicate with someone who can -- using the PA system, radio, whatever.