Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First impressions: Turbosound IQ12

First impressions: Turbosound IQ12

Picked these up today from my local distributor.

I've yet to throw them on poles and really push them, but they've passed the hardest test one can do: Playing some Steely Dan. Sound was very clear and as even as it could be on the floor in my living room.

For those that are worried because Turbosound is owned by Music Group: The build quality on these is amazing for the price. Very sturdy feeling, much more than the JBL PRX's that I've had to setup before. The DSP has all the feature's you'd ever need, and they sound great without any additional processing. I'm curious how the FBT handles feedback, as a few of the shows I do always have some feedback problems. I'm planning on picking up an XR16 to complement this, as I've sold my other desk. Can't wait to try out ultranet.

Sofar the only cons I've seen is the lack of Ethercon for the ultranet (I REALLY don't trust the little locking tab on a normal cat5 cable) Only other thing is aesthetic: I don't really care for the chromed out knobs on the back. It just kind of chintzy feeling/looking.

I'll be sure to update after these get some use.

That's good to hear. Especially from someone who actually owns the product. I've heard good things about Turbosound before they were purchased by Music Group. I'm waiting for a IP1000 to arrive. Taking a chance buying without a demo. Interested in your long term review.

NICE.

I thought you was going to go with the EV EKX 12p that you had mentioned before, so now what do you plan to use for matching subs?
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    NICE.

I thought you was going to go with the EV EKX 12p that you had mentioned before, so now what do you plan to use for matching subs?
    They were a bit out of budget and lacking in a few of the features I would have liked to have.

The rest of the rig is a Driverack Pa2, Ashly KLR 3200 and two 20 inch wide t39's, 3012lf-4 loaded.

These tops are meant to handle most smaller shows by themselves, while serving as monitors for large shows. I plan to build two more t39's and some DR280's. Before that happens I'd like a couple of wireless channels and an XR16. Can't afford shit when you're paying for your wedding cash, though. could be a few years.

Ordered padded covers for them.

I don't usually buy such nice things. Hell, I have a hard time finding a proper place to store these. Garage? - nope, to dirty. Basement? - but it could floooooddddddd (again.)

STILL cleaning records from the great basement flood of 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    . Can't afford shit when you're paying for your wedding cash
    Awww, little Monomer went & got all grown up in front of our eyes... I remember when you first joined up on the forums.. Congrats!!..
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Awww, little Monomer went & got all grown up in front of our eyes... I remember when you first joined up on the forums.. Congrats!!..
    Thanks!

My Dj's rolling in with a couple of JTR Growlers

I still miss my massive post count.

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    Thanks!

My Dj's rolling in with a couple of JTR Growlers

I still miss my massive post count.
    I still miss my Growlers & PL380's.............

I still miss my Growlers & PL380's.............
    They'll have an E90 powering them.

Bully Audio don't mess around. I recall him having 12 growlers at one point. It was always a good show when we lugged four around, knocking plaster from the venues ceiling!

Update on these.

Had a rather large July 4th party - a perfect time to be loud and get away with it. Of all the powered top's I've used these have the cleanest sound. Even ran at full tilt, you can just barley hear the highs break up a bit. I had them crossed at 90Hz, So I'm not sure how good the lows are.

I love the tilt function. Not adjustable like my otop's were, but good enough. They went up easily on my frankenstands - I think they're around 40lbs each.

I'm itching to get an RTA setup, I'll have some pics and measurement here soon.