Thread: Small / Portable Controller

Small / Portable Controller

Hello,

I am looking for a small portable controller that I can use to practice my mixes when away from home or for small parties for friends etc, instead of hauling my regular controller (Pioneer DDJ SX2).

What do I need to accomplish my goals?

I am thinking of a Pioneer DDJ-SB2 or the the Acai AMX. What other controller would you recommend?

Is it advisable to go this route?
    Can I mix on the computer using the software without the controller?
    Do I need to get a speaker or headphones are ok?

thanks and looking forward to your input...

rgds, PS

Quote Originally Posted by PundaSmith View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for a small portable controller that I can use to practice my mixes when away from home or for small parties for friends etc, instead of hauling my regular controller (Pioneer DDJ SX2).
    What do I need to accomplish my goals?
    It depends on your budget... just a laptop will do.
    I am thinking of a Pioneer DDJ-SB2 or the the Acai AMX. What other controller would you recommend?
    One you can afford really. Or one that fits in your backpack/bag/pocket. On a side note, I heard there were scratch DJ's back in the day carrying a crossfader around..

Is it advisable to go this route?
    Can I mix on the computer using the software without the controller?
    Do I need to get a speaker or headphones are ok?
    Well, if you spend a lot of time away from your gear you can use it for setting cue points, managing playlists and practicing but knowing your tracks is the key here I'd presume so just a portable player or a mobile phone with your latest tracks would be a huge advantage. Like I stated above you can mix 100% in the box without a controller (you can map certain things to your keyboard in Traktor for example) but I'd advise using headphones in the public though...

Just had a thought of a small 2-channel audio interface so you can cue things up?

EDIT : I myself am guilty of buying a bunch of tracks and then mixing them by intuition...

depends on what software you use. Since it looks like you primarily use serato dj, youre better of with getting one of the smaller pioneer controllers like u mentioned. the wego, the sb, maybe even a vestax vci. you're only going to be able to mix on it, since scratching isnt as good, at least not for me. They really do come in handy for small parties or hangin out with friends. i tried traktor for a bit and really liked it but ended up coming back to serato. The S2 was perfect. Wish it worked for serato dj lol. The Good thing about the traktor software is that you could use it without a controller but who am i kidding im a hands on guy i would never use it like that lol.

Thanks for all you advice and comments. I went ahead and ordered the Akai AMX. Yes, there are issues with the choice:

-- no mic input
    -- wonky beat matching interface
    -- glued to Serato
    -- a different hardware interface, from my previous controller (Denon MC6000) and now Pioneer DDJSX2.

BUT,
    -- it will allow me to actually have a practice session on a real controller,
    -- i can use it conveniently in tight spaces or smaller parties, and
    -- use it as backup controller for large gigs.
    -- it comes with full serator package, thus some savings there..

Since I am a newbie, still trying to learn beatmatching, I wish the AMX had a simpler way of doing this, but alas ... I will keep looking for ways to beatmatch efficiently on it.

best - PS

Good choice! It's very compact looking and should be good for your needs. I personally would have went with the DDJ-SB2 but that's only because I'd like all my controls on a single piece of hardware.

You can use it with DJ Player Pro on your ipod/iphone and add dvs at any time if you need wheels (cdjs or turntables). Probably a Behringer PL-1 would work too, with adequate mapping. Do your search.

Oops...my bad. I came to the thread late and did not know that you had chosen the very same controller I had recommended. It takes some getting used to but as far as portability is concerned, it cannot be beat
    Last edited by akela; 07-02-2016 at 05:28 AM. Reason: wrong sentence