Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub Woofer Necessary.....???

Sub Woofer Necessary.....???

I am a part of this organization and every year we have this outdoor event that showcases music, art and dancing.

First time being in charge of the PA system and sound.

Specifications:

1. Outdoor
    2. About 500 - 1000 people.
    3. 2 Days. 8am - 4pm
    4. Some dance acts with music.
    5. Some singing.

But mostly...MC's and Speeches.

Current event PA Setup: 2 18" subs & 2 Dual 15" top/mid combo.

Caveat / Confusion:

I have been attending this event for over 20 years. They just recently started using subwoofers for this event. But one thing I have noticed is...Most of the music style/genre that's being played for the event has NO LOW END/BASS at all.

Not only that...But 60-70% of the event is mainly speeches and MC's.

Therefore...Do I really need Subwoofers for an event like this where most of the frequency range won't even dip as low as 60hz...???

If anything...most of the low end on the music that's being played probably won't even dip as low as 80 - 100hz.

Im trying to avoid the extra hassle of bringing subs. I'm lazy. I don't want to bring the subs if the music/singing ain't even gonna dip low enough for their purpose/use.

Help...???
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~

what music style/genre are being played ?
    Tech1200s & 1210 pioneer cdj1000, DDJ-sx2,vci-300, serato itch ssl sdj, rane sl1 57 62, RCF-745's qsc k12 jbl-vrx918sp, JBL-VRX932LAP, DriveRack-PA2, Macbook pro+windows 7, Macbook Air Ipad,benQ-mx620st Projector,JBL-VRXhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAQ0GZu_P8

The one thing I've realized with PA speakers is that bass is hard to handle - particularly outdoors.

By taking the bass, subs allow tops to go louder. Since you're outside and you have 1000 people, you'll need all the volume you can muster.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

^^^ this.

extra hassle of bringing subs. I'm lazy.
    Hire someone to move them for you. Laziness is not threadworthy.

Yeah with that many people attending I'd say you definitely need it. Trust me, they make a difference even if you don't think there's a lot going on in the lower frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by DjBetta View Post
    First time being in charge of the PA system and sound.

Most of the music style/genre that's being played for the event has NO LOW END/BASS at all.

Not only that...But 60-70% of the event is mainly speeches and MC's.
    Unless the music is all acoustic guitars and bluegrass, bring the subs.

If you are getting paid to provide sound and want to make a good impression, bring the subs.

Even when an event consists of mostly speeches, it's the music segment that's often the most important. Don't slack just because music is only being played 1/3 of the time.

If nothing else, it'll take some load off your tops, allowing them to go louder.

If you're feeling super lazy that day maybe just bring one?

Its mainly country and folk music.

Yeah...I figured having the subs will only help and I think having them would be best even if its just mainly speeches and country/folk music.

Thanks guys for the introspection and tips.

On a side note...

What frequency should I make my crossover for the subs...??? 100, 80 or 60 hz....???

So...does the theory/premise go something like this...

Since there is 'NO' low end/bass...I should set my crossover high...right...??? i.e. 100hz.

Because...'theoretically'...I should be trying to filter as much low end out to the subs as I can...by 'high passing' at a higher crossover...therefore achieving better dynamics and a cleaner sound for the tops/mids.

Or...is it the other way around...???

Since there is 'NO' low end/bass...I should set my crossover low...right...??? i.e. 60-80hz.

Because...'theoretically'...I should be trying to 'capture' or 'project' as much of any low end/bass that is "present/there"...since I need it.

Confused...Whats the general consensus/rule of thumb here for low end/bass...???

Sorry...but my sound reinforcement/PA theories/engineering is a little lackluster.
    Last edited by DjBetta; 06-23-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Would this be a pretty good 'guesstimate' as to which crossover frequencies to use based on music genre/style...

1. 100hz:

EDM, HipHop, Rap, Trap, Electro/House etc...Pretty much anything that is 'bassy' and for 18yr old + crowd.

2. 80hz:

Pop, R&B, Top 40, Country, Disney/children/pre-teen etc. Typical mid range heavy type music genres/styles.

3. 60hz:

Folk/Bluegrass, Acoustic, Classical/Orchestral, Ambient/Chill, 60's and older etc. Pretty much anything that is for 50yr old + crowd.
    Last edited by DjBetta; 06-23-2016 at 12:38 AM.