Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you work alone?

I've always worked alone, but now that I can afford to have someone come along, I'm going to keep an assistant or my wife. We have a small son, so the wife won't always be available. I've learned over the years how to make the load in and load out easier as a lone DJ. I'm on my 2nd rig. It is scalable and purchased with the balance of sound and portability in mind. ZLX115P's for tops. Sometimes I bring no sub, sometimes 1 ELX118P, sometimes a pair. For lights I only do a Tripod lighting setup. Most of my weddings are less than 100.. Occasionally 100-200 guests. A DJ equipment cart and bungee straps were one of the best investment I've made as a DJ. With Subs, I can get my gear moved in about 2 trips with the cart. I can load in and set up usually in about an hour tops. However, I show up at venue usually about 3 hours ahead of time

I don't worry much about computer problems usually as I own a computer shop. I bought extra everything so I would have backup. No cheap gear here. All Chauvet lighting, EV system, Denon, Shure, etc... I don't know what I'm so stressed out about. I have a big wedding tomorrow. Usually my anxiety would already be starting kicking in, but I'm actually feeling pretty good tonight. I'm glad my wife is awesome enough to come along and help me move equipment and be my support.

I work alone.

Work alone most of the time myself. Maybe because at the time I'm not comfortable enough with paying people yet. Maybe as I start getting more mobile gigs and less Lounge type gigs. It is pretty rough though because my setup can be as much as 2 6.5ft truss connected and resting on crank stands with pars and moving heads, sound setup, etc. Its taken me as long as 3 hours to set up before. Then still have to do the gig and break down. Never complained about it but having help would, well... help

As of late my helpers have been bailing, or having emergencies. I have had to do a few 500-800 guest setups alone.
    2-4 subs, 4-6 tops, 30 uplights, 2 10 foot screens and projectors, drumming, and all the wiring, facades and similar. This last weekend I had back to back 3 different events, by myself. It killed, was super tough on my physically and mentally, but one thing is for sure, I knew the whole time, everything was setup right and no hiccups would occur, here and there my help would angle uplights incorrectly, plug in xlrs out to in the side fills and similar.
    I do like working alone, I am having a slower year than usual because of the market over flow of new DJs with nice visuals, but little substance, but I project next year to be so packed I may end up hiring out help for setups, I either do it all or nothing.
    Need an amazing Video DJ that can Handle Indian and American, let's work together!

I work alone usually. Extensive 3-6 hour setup. Considering starting to bring somebody along.

I work alone except when I have have a gig that requires at a minimum standard setup with two tops and two 18" subs.
    " Mr. Nichols Just A Guy Who Plays Music"

Listen To Good Tunes..Play Good Tunes..Spin The Tunes They Wanna Hear

Been working alone since 1996. I had 4 15" bass cabinets, 2 double 10" mids and 2 highs that weigh about 600 lbs, and an amp rack that weighed about 150lb. I haven't been getting the gigs where I need to use all that equipment since I moved from NY to FL. For that reason I recently started scaling down the weight to getting lighter more powerful amps and sold 2 of my bass cabinets. Lean and mean is my motto right now. Can't wait for my next gig.

Being alone sucks. I have my wife join me when she can!
    Mobile DJ and Sound
    My Gear: Traktor S4 - Allen & Heath Xone 42 - RCF Art 312A - EV EKX 18SP

I work most of the time, I'll get a helper if there is a time constraint not allowing me to set my gear up early.
    twitter - @DJRiddim_
    facebook - https://www.facebook.com/DJRiddims?ref=hl
    youtube.com/vibes4321

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    My wife & I do this together from day one.... now going in to 14 years
    Yep. Same for me. Wifey is always there with me