Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Laptops (Includes a Guide)

I have two laptops. One is a Dell and one is an HP. They have mid range specs (Intel dual core CPU, 4GB ram, 500gb HDD, Windows 7). The key is that my main DJ laptop does not go online and has all extra software (bloatware) removed. It doesn't get any further updates, no anti-virus, no internet = no infections... so it is stable software wise. If something dies, it will be hardware related.

My backup laptop does go online and has that extra stuff I use on a daily basis... but since it is only a backup, those risks are acceptable. Even so, I keep a spare hard drive with a clean install of Windows 7, extra ram, a spare ac adapter, and a spare battery in my carrying case (for the backup laptop) to cover almost all possible scenarios.

I'm probably only able to do this because at my 9 to 5 I am a PC repair tech.

I have two as well a Dell Inspiron with a stripped down version of windows xp, 4g ram 300gb hard drive, no antivirus, wireless connectivity disabled only third party software installed is Serato and VDJ Pro. My second laptop MBP 13" is my primary everyday laptop for school, business and personal use.

My dell runs and performs well and as Rodney L indicated in his post, if it goes bad it would be a hardware related issue.
    Last edited by bumpyjonas; 10-01-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: fat fingers typing on Iphone
    " Mr. Nichols Just A Guy Who Plays Music"

Listen To Good Tunes..Play Good Tunes..Spin The Tunes They Wanna Hear

I've gone through quite a few.

My first DJ laptop was an IBM T40, it was underpowered but did the job. It was lightweight and reliable.
    I wanted more power and hard drive space so I upgraded to an HP DV9000 with two hard drives (240GB total). It's now my backup laptop, still running fine but has heat issues if not cleaned once in a while.
    The IBM finally died so I picked up a macbook. It was a great laptop but I started getting into using serato with the ableton bridge and it didn't have enough horsepower. I sold it to a friend who's macbook was stolen, otherwise I'd still have it.
    My current laptop is an MSI. Quad core i7, 16GB of ram, 4gb video card, 1.5TB of hard drive space. It's a beast and I use it as my main machine for DJing and gaming. It's been really reliable and it'll handle just about everything I could throw at it.

I used to work in laptop repair and there's a few brands that were pretty bad.
    Sony was the worst, it's like they're engineered to fall apart right after the warranty runs out. Not that it matters since sony will do anything they can to avoid honoring their warranties. I've seen people get screwed over for not properly filling out the warranty card and things like.
    Acer used to be lousy but have gotten better.
    Dell is hit or miss, their higher-end laptops are great, you get what you pay for.
    Fujitsu, not much to say, they're just crap.
    Pre-dell alienware laptops were prone to catastrophic failures, I hear they're a bit better now but still overpriced for what you get. I think the one with the same specs as my MSI was around $4,000, I paid $1,800 for the MSI.

Laptops I'd recommend:
    Toshiba if you're on a budget
    HP isn't bad.
    Panasonic toughbooks are awesome.
    Asus is pretty good.
    I love my MSI
    the new samsung laptops are really nice.
    Can't go wrong with apple.

I use two low end Toshiba's that I caught on sale at Office Depot. They are just plain low end laptops. I think they were like $350 each. Both have four gigs of ram. One is the main DJ laptop & the other is a back up. I've had them about 2 years without any problems... so far.
    Last edited by Dix; 12-28-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I made this thread a sticky...
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieland DJ View Post
    I made this thread a sticky...
    Thanks Dixieland...
    " Mr. Nichols Just A Guy Who Plays Music"

Listen To Good Tunes..Play Good Tunes..Spin The Tunes They Wanna Hear

I have two laptops. One is an old IBM Lenovo Thinkpad X61 with 2gb of RAM and a 320gb hard drive. I use it only for DJing with a virtual DJ and a controller. The backup laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5050 that I need to disable the sound are first or else it clashes with the ASIO drivers of my controller. It is a backup laptop. If you ask me, the IBM thinkpads are pretty good...no worries at all and relatively light.

I don't DJ with a laptop but I got Asus i5, 4 gb of ram, 500gb

I run adobe master collection 5.5, (Photoshop, illustrate , etc) -for school, and my art hustle
    Autocadd 2013-for school
    Microsoft office -for school

Mess around with mix Mister , fl studio , acid pro

Runs well , I clean out the hard drive partitions, reinstall windows 7 , install my prefer anti-virus and use the internet daily just gotta make sure your on top of windows ,

sooner or later gonna get me a Sager , Msi or a better Asus , really want to use this one only for Linux

If you don't want to get a Mac , MSI are really good

Edit : Asus always made one of the best reliable motherboards for PC , that's why I end up going with their laptops , all desktops that i have are custom

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Paulie65m; 10-10-2012 at 03:49 AM.
    "Got Dusty Fingers From Diggin In The Crates"

Member Since 2005 B.C (Mayan Calendar)

Ive used both......had glitches with pc....my mac runs smoother

Actually, I use a Toshiba with back lit keys. Very nice in a dark room! Mac doesn't have that.