Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Best Laptops (Includes a Guide)

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Well.. I love old Thinkpads.. and that one might be sufficient because Serato is famously frugal with CPU.. I used to run Serato Itch on an X60 which if anything is significantly older. But Seratp DJ is a different animal and if I were you I'd look for something a bit newer. T420's sell fairly cheaply and while they are already up tto the 450 or 460 now, the 420 is still a reasonable performer.. at least it has an i series CPU. I use a 420 at home and have a 230 for work and run Traktor Intro on the 230 with no issues.
    Tbh it's all Greek to me (in fact I've only owned 2 PCs in my life), so that's very useful info. I've found 3 T420s that are well priced, however I have no idea which would be superior for my purposes (as described earlier).

http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/...vo-t420-laptop
    http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/...lenovo-t420-i5
    http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/...0-i5-windows10

I'm starting to think it might be easier / safer to have my music installed on the laptop instead of using a USB stick. In which case having 320 GB hard drive instead of 250 could be useful (although at present my DJing music is only 15GB and I doubt it will ever be more than 25 GB). But then others have a more recent processor and one has Windows 10. I have no idea if either of those is of any relevance for my purposes. What do you think?
    Last edited by Machito; 06-28-2017 at 05:25 AM.

The first one has an i3 processor, that's why it's cheaper. Personally, I feel that.. you can always upgrade the RAM, as well as the hard disk. But you can never upgrade the processor. So go for the minor price difference, the ones with the i5 are a better choice.. it'll make the computer worth keeping longer.

The second and third are about the same.. they both have 4G RAM and 250G disk.. except for the third one having Windows 10.

Now, the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was something you could do for free on-line last year, but in theory that was ended. In reality, there's still a microsoft page you can go to where you can still get the upgrade for free. However, my experience is that the upgrade doesn't go smoothly on every machine. On a fresh, clean Windows 7 install, it should go smooth though.. but if you "just don't want to deal with that" and can afford the little extra it might be worth it to you to just start off with 10 and not have to deal.. or not have to face the reality that by the time you get around to upgrading, the loophole could be closed and you would then have to pay for the upgrade or do tricky things that of course NONE of us would even dream of doing to get the upgrade

But if you want to save a bit and do it yourself.. you can.

One thing I would tell ya about the T420 (since I have one) is that it has a PCIe (PCI Express) slot in the bottom (under a plastic cover) which supports mSATA disks. Lots of laptops have PCIe slots, but some of the older ones don't support mSATA, but the T420 does. Now, you ask what is an mSATA disk. It is a solid state disk (SSD) where, instead of being a 2.5 inch wide little box that slides into the regular hard disk place on your laptop, it's just a small circuit board that pops into the mSATA slot. So, using an mSATA drive, you can actually add a second hard disk to the laptop without taking anything else out. And that's what I did with mine. What I did actually was to get a 1000GB (1TB) mSATA and I installed Windows on it, then I set it up so that the computer boots (starts) from that drive.. so that's my 'C' drive that most things are on. The original 320G hard disk is still there and that's my D drive.

But that's a more complex installation, dealing with getting Windows transferred over to the mSATA drive, and I won't get into it here. But suffice to say that you can add a second hard disk to this machine if you want, and if you are still using the original drive as your C drive, the mSATA will show up as D. And then you can put more music on there. Keeping in mind that mSATA drives, being solid state, are less likely to die and lose all your stuff if you for example drop your machine while it's running.

So yea, so far as disk capacity, you have options. You don't have to go there right now, but you have them.

Thanks for all the info. I went for the 3rd option - a little more money and a lot less stress re. Windows 10. I also managed to get a tenner off via a coupon, so the price is pretty decent really. I'll let you all know how I get on once I've installed the little bit of software I need and tried it with my controller.
    Last edited by Machito; 06-30-2017 at 07:02 AM.

I have a MacBook Pro 15 i7 Quad Core with my backup the same. 2014 and a 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I would share this with the forum just in case you were considering purchasing a preowned Mac. This is also helpful for determining the support life span of your Mac. Earlier this year my 17’ MBP (can’t remember the year) logic board died on me and I quickly discovered that it was deemed obsolete. This meant that Apple doesn’t support it at all. They don’t furnish suppliers with any parts whatsoever. My options were limited to paying an outrageous price for a new compatible logic board that one supplier happened to have, find a ‘for parts’ unit for sale, or pay a technician to repair the logic board which I heard was basically as complicated as brain surgery.

So I found a mid 2012 13” that someone left for dead and installed Mojave, swapped the 16gb of ram from my old computer and installed a 1TB SSD. From what I was told Mojave will be the last OS that my 2012 will be compatible with.

So here’s a link listing all of the Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They say a Mac is always safe because it never freezes, but some say it can happen even with a Mac too. I suggest to go for Hp, Dell, Msi... I would say if the price is above 500 euro / dollar, you are good to go.

It's really a shame you can't easily build a laptop the same way you can build a desktop. I'd kind of prefer a macbook over a Windows laptop, but what I really want is something I can easily customize and upgrade. Still can't do much of that with any laptop (or anything Apple).

It is not impossible to customize a laptop either right at the order or to some more limited extend later.

But only in some more expensive models, usually mobile workstations.

For example:
    [url first post links not allowed[/url]

Not everyone has the same level of customization though, Lenovo for example usually has only a couple of available options.

Than there are some small scale niche companies that offer a higher level of customization on most products.
    Last edited by Manu; 10-28-2020 at 09:26 PM.

I use the 17" version of this:
    "All I ever wanted to do was hear music that I like and play it to other people" - John Peel