Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for a little bit of support for an upcoming wedding :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
    Throw in a Latin aspect and it's going to be even more different.
    You need to ask the couple exactly what they expect.
    well the hired me on the basis that I can dj to a latin audience so I'm ready and hoping that this will be required on the day, however, you can never be sure which way it will go until youre there.

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

in 10+ years of doing weddings i have one in july hwere the BG have a grand exit at 1030 and guests can stay till 11pm.
    as a matter of interest...is that the norm in the US to end the party early? ill be doing this one until around 2am (that's normally when the venue is required to stop selling alcohol)(we might push it until the staff tells us otherwise)
    here normally the B & G would not want to miss the "piss up" by exiting early
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-23-2016 at 02:15 PM.

very very few weddings go beyond 10 or 11 pm.
    most halls are rented for 5 hours - 5-10pm, 6-11 pm sort of thing, sometimes an hour later.

I've had a number of weddings end at 9.

In PA alcohol can be served until 2am so that's not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
    very very few weddings go beyond 10 or 11 pm.
    most halls are rented for 5 hours - 5-10pm, 6-11 pm sort of thing, sometimes an hour later.

I've had a number of weddings end at 9.

In PA alcohol can be served until 2am so that's not the issue.

just to be clear , we are talking, of course about the wedding after party right? with the DJ....that finishes at 11 pm ? dayumm..... that certainly is different to irish weddings.

I have to say I don't envy you trying to fill a dancefloor before that time in the night....here things tend to get considerably easier after a certain hour
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-23-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

just to be clear , we are talking, of course about the wedding after party right? with the DJ....that finishes at 11 pm ? dayumm..... that certainly is different to irish weddings.

I have to say I don't envy you trying to fill a dancefloor before that time in the night....here things tend to get considerably easier after a certain hour
    Yep..! in Ireland, at a wedding, the DJ plays after a band who come on after the dinner, the hall needs to be prepared for that (if there's no band the DJ sets up in place of the band), then the music goes to 1:30-2am generally, with a few venues finishing slightly earlier based on location. In the North, it varies from 1-2. It can finish earlier with the agreement of the couple and venue.
    With no band, it can be a very long and a very difficult gig.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJ_Ade_76; 06-24-2016 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Ade_76 View Post
    a very long and a very difficult gig.
    that's me in a few days time

so guys a quick report back!

the wedding went great! in the end we partied all the way until 5am! so the guests were having a good time (and so was I)
    thinking back on it, that meant my DJ set was 7 hours straight, not including the 4 hours of dinner music. so literally every bit of musical research I had done in the run up to it turned out to be crucial. it sure was intense. and it was challenging to try to entertain such a wide demographic, but the dancefloor was fairly buzzing the whole night, so I'm happy!

I even had them going ballistic at one point to an old irish song "the pogues - streams of whiskey"

I Want to thank you guys for the help I got on this thread. cheers to you !!
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 06-30-2016 at 05:59 PM.

4 hours of dinner music? Longest wedding dinner in history? lol
    - jj -

Well roughly 3 & something hours of music plus really long long speeches
    6pm until 10:30 I think it was ...
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 07-05-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Yer safe with the Pogues at a Wedding in Ireland..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk