Thread: Question about DJing

Question about DJing

Just a quick question, I am very new to djing. If I were to connect a dj controller to my computer by usb to virtual DJ or Traktor, And use effects on the controller, will it actually have the effect on my main speakers that are played by my internal sound card on my pc?. So just think of it like my speakers are played by my pc sound card, and if I hooked up a usb mixer into one of my usb ports will it work on playing out on my speakers? Just wondering, thanks heaps guys !

what equipment are you thinking of?

this will help the person to assist you with the question you have.

Yes. The controller doesn't actually DO the effects.. the effects are part of the software. The controller tells the software "button #1 was pushed", "knob #7 was turned to 3 o'clock position".. or whatever.. and the software knows what that means and does the right thing.

The knowledge that the software has of what knobs/buttons/etc are on the controller.. and what the software should do when different controls are used on the controller, is called a "mapping". If you buy a controller that is MADE to be used with specific software.. like if you buy a Traktor controller (whether it is made by Native Instruments.. the makers of the Traktor software, or not) then you have the best chance of having the controller map perfectly to the software and for the whole experience to FEEL smooth as if the controller were doing the work, when it's really all happening in the computer. But everything is actually being done in the computer and the controller just controls it.

If you try to match up a controller that is not specifically made for your software, usually you can do it. Different software has different ways of setting up your own mappings.
    Of course, if you have a button for a specific effect on the controller, and the software doesn't have that effect (or feature).. then you DON'T have that effect or feature. You can map the button to control some other thing in the software. Remember.. the software does the work. The markings on the controller saying this knob does this and that knob does that, means nothing to the software. It's the mapping that controls what knob does what. So yea you can take a controller that was totally made for some other software and map it to Traktor or VDJ.. it might not be a perfect mapping but you can get it to work. Not really suggested for you as a beginner to do that though. You are better off getting a controller that is designed for whatever software you choose, or that comes with it.

With Serato software, they used to have a setup where the cost of the software was built into the cost of the controller.. you buy the controller and download the software for free.. and you plug in the controller and it works. There was no question as to whether the controller would map to the software, because the only controller you could use was one that was approved by Serato.

So, about the sound card.. the answer to your question is YES.. the effects will come out of your computer sound card.. if that's when you have things configured for your sound to come out. But: You are better off getting a controller with a built in sound card and using that.. and having the sound come out through the controller. This is because, when you are DJing, you will have headphones, and speakers connected. You want to be able to listen to one thing in your headphones, while everyone else listens to something else in the speakers. The DJ headphones are controlled separately. So, you need actually TWO separate sets of audio outputs from the computer (left and right for headphones, left and right for speakers.. four all together).. and the controllers that have sound cards built into them will have that. Your computer does not. Another way to solve the problem is to buy a separate audio USB interface that has two separate sets of sound outputs. Like the Native Instruments Audio2. Then you can use a controller that does not have audio capabilities.

Some software, like.. if you get the pro version of VDJ.. it actually allows you to use two different.. even different brand sound cards.. one for your headphones and the other for your speakers. But that's really not ideal.. there are a lot of reasons why you don't want to do that.

So basically.. if you get a controller with built in sound, that's made specifically for the DJ program you are using.. then you have the best chance of everything working together smoothly and easily. If you don't.. there are still lots of combinations that will work.. but the more mismatched pieces you have, the more difficulties you will face getting them working together smoothly.