Thread: Career Day

Career Day

So i've been asked to attend career day at the local middle school 3 years now. I'm not going to lie, it's perhaps my favorite non DJing event of the year. I have to speak for about 50 minutes about the industry and answer a lot of questions about what i do and how i do it. I don't get the kids who transpire to be dentist or doctors. Some of the kids i get are rift raft. But some of them are just curious about what a DJ actually does. The hardest question i have is "What are the future prospects for the industry?" "Do you see the industry growing or shrinking?" My answer is always i see it staying about the same. The computerization of certain aspects of our industry make me nervous. People thinking they can dj their own party is a concern of mine. The higher end client will never opt for that but i can't always count on the high end peeps. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ntertainment View Post
    So i've been asked to attend career day at the local middle school 3 years now. I'm not going to lie, it's perhaps my favorite non DJing event of the year. I have to speak for about 50 minutes about the industry and answer a lot of questions about what i do and how i do it. I don't get the kids who transpire to be dentist or doctors. Some of the kids i get are rift raft. But some of them are just curious about what a DJ actually does. The hardest question i have is "What are the future prospects for the industry?" "Do you see the industry growing or shrinking?" My answer is always i see it staying about the same. The computerization of certain aspects of our industry make me nervous. People thinking they can dj their own party is a concern of mine. The higher end client will never opt for that but i can't always count on the high end peeps. Thoughts?
    I can see a shift rather than a shrink. The low end customers may think they can DJ their own party, they still need a PA though so they might hire PA from us instead.

I think we're safe for a while, you'd need a very sophisticated bit of software to accept requests and know when it's not an appropriate song. We can already automix music to a fair standard but I don't think it's possible anytime soon to entirely replace us except for the low end stiff where quality isn't of much concern.
    David, Dorset Wedding DJ.

The computerization of certain aspects of our industry make me nervous. People thinking they can dj their own party is a concern of mine. The higher end client will never opt for that but i can't always count on the high end peeps. Thoughts?

Youre right. Lately my rate has shrunken from $1200 to $600 and sometimes even lower. I have a wedding Saturday thats only $475 but
    to be fair its in a small room and another birthday party for only $200 the next day at a Moose hall.

High end gigs are hard to find nowadays, even with me having video. Dj'ing on a cellphone, pad or other small device has shrunken the business
    even further with businesses thinking they can do it themselves. Even people needing a PA can rent from some music store or even buy their own
    like I've been seeing a lot at bars, restaurants and other businesses.

Technology is good but bad at the same time. Video killed the radio star and technology killed the mobile jock.

But doing weddings, SOMEBODY has to keep the show going and it ain't stuttering Uncle Bob or Siri from an iPad.
    A house party or grad party? Yeah they can probably dj that themselves.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller