Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY DJ Console

Here's the blueprint of the first (2007) desk in case someone wants to build something similar.
    Last edited by efinque; 05-28-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: deleted the text box for clarity

Beautiful build!

I've always wondered what it's like to mix on a console like that as it looks like a bit of a reach to the turntables.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    Beautiful build!

I've always wondered what it's like to mix on a console like that as it looks like a bit of a reach to the turntables.
    It's actually quite ergonomic once you get used to it.. not really designed for fast transitions or scratching though. The top section houses a pair of turntables and CDJ's nicely

Note that the original build is missing the CDJ/laptop stand, which can (in fact, should) be built wider than 500mm (I designed it for CDJ-100s' or a laptop), which is too narrow for, say, CDJ-800's which are 300mm wide.

I also removed the speaker stands because I practice mixing mostly on headphones these days. The Formula Sound is kinda outdated and needs to be serviced, I use a Mackie D.4 with 2 CDJ's and an Akai APC40 along with a Novation Nocturn25 (I built a custom stand for it using 2 angle irons connected by a nut and a bolt and attached with a screw) hooked to a laptop.

I've also incorporated a pair of Patchblocks to my live setup too, which are extremely compact and can customized to virtually anything from an auxiliary effects processor to a synth.

EDIT : With butterfly locks, flush mounting and some Warnex/carpet covering it could be used as a mobile console as well. Heavy haul though

EDIT 2 : The laptop stand could be replaced with a fixed-angle top shelf 1500mm wide too.

Here are some build pics I found from my old email..

Notice that I didn't use a table saw for the angled section... I can't remember why though.

I think that's the first time I've seen a hand plane on a DJ forum
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    I think that's the first time I've seen a hand plane on a DJ forum
    That's a positively modern hand-plain compared to the one I've got sat on my workbench at the moment! Almost a foot and a half long, carved out of solid oak, and not a piece of metal on it apart from the blade itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Irrational_Fear View Post
    That's a positively modern hand-plain compared to the one I've got sat on my workbench at the moment! Almost a foot and a half long, carved out of solid oak, and not a piece of metal on it apart from the blade itself!
    A bit like this one?

(wish I had a photo of my 2' jointer to hand)
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

^^^^Yep that's it!

Although without the top handle- there is a small stub sticking up which suggests it originally had one but it's long since snapped off. I think it's a bit longer too.

It originally belonged to my grandfather who died in 1964, so it's a few years old now!

I've decided to take some time off my projects and been making a CAD drawing of the console (although I have no access to the desk for the time being; some of the measures are estimates).. I can upload the .dxf file if anyone wants it.

EDIT : here's a Dropbox link to the .dxf file, the shelf height&depth measures are from the top of my head as is the laptop stand.. it's missing the side bracing too, if I recall correctly it was 40mmx40mm wood. I also added some stuff like the option to angle the mixer and a small space for processing/VU meters below the laptop stand.. I asked the guy who owns it whether he still has it, one of the best desks I've played on