Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hawtin’s MODEL 1 mixer

Found a review after quiet some digging on a German website, amazona.de, about audio and dj-ing.

https://www.amazona.de/report-playdi...el-1-dj-mixer/

The author of the article was invited to the Berlin tour stop in Boiler Room/Arena Club, hosted by RH and his partner Rigby-Jones. He says there was all kind of people from behind the scenes who could first listen and try out the Model 1 with head phones. From the picture seems as the mixer was connected with three Pioneer CDJ2000 Nexus, two laptops of which one had Traktor. The other software I can't tell because it's hardly visible. Later there was the official Boiler Room dj set (not further commented in the article).

His main conclusion was that the Model 1 is not a mixer for beginners, that it takes time to master. He says the (physical) quality of the mixer is solid and the knobs feel very good 'with some resistance', as do the faders which were specialy developped for the Model 1. Each led for each knob can be adjusted in brightness. The author is very impressed by the sound quality, and he gives more details about the filters, etc. This is very technical and not easy to translate for me. Author also refers to the manual which is 'madness' and says his short review is only the tip of the iceberg. One of his conclusions is that the Master EQ is not full kill.

After his conclusions he says 250 mixers will be traded by Hawtin and his partner from end of June/ begin July, and after that by Allen & Heath and DiGiCo. The Model 1 makes a world tour with next stop in Amsterdam, followed by the USA (Miami, LA), Florence, Paris and Toronto.

The article is commented by readers, where the main talk is about the lack of crossfader.

It sold for only £415?! my heart just broke a little
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    It sold for only £415?! my heart just broke a little
    That'll teach you for going off topic

touché
    www.dnbradio.com

Looks cool.. I have to give them credit for trying something totally different. The filters in place of the standard 3 band EQ would definitely take some time to get used to but when I think about the way that I mix, I could certainly accomplish the same thing but better using this setup.. with practice.

Definitely for techno in particular it makes a lot of sense.

But the only thing is, that this is unlikely to be more than a limited run, because people who have to own a mixer for others to use.. that is to say clubs and sound companies, need to provide gear that is rider friendly, and this won't be. But people who like the idea of this mixer, have money, and who don't have to care what other people think.. they'll like it

EDIT

What I think would be better.. and I've been thinking this for years.. would be to have a crossover type filter on each channel. That is.. 5 knobs: Three of them are the well-understood high, mid, low boost/cut, with full kill action. The other two control the crossover point: low-mid frequency, mid-high frequency. So this gives you a highpass, lowpass, bandpass action.. same as any full kill EQ's.. but sweepable. If a DJ comes in who prefers to just use low-mid-high, the frequency knobs can have a detent position which sets them to a typical frequency eg 100Hz low-mid crossover point, and then they can be left there.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 05-17-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    What I think would be better.. and I've been thinking this for years.. would be to have a crossover type filter on each channel. That is.. 5 knobs: Three of them are the well-understood high, mid, low boost/cut, with full kill action. The other two control the crossover point: low-mid frequency, mid-high frequency. So this gives you a highpass, lowpass, bandpass action.. same as any full kill EQ's.. but sweepable. If a DJ comes in who prefers to just use low-mid-high, the frequency knobs can have a detent position which sets them to a typical frequency eg 100Hz low-mid crossover point, and then they can be left there.
    Electrix EQ Killer?

(sadly no longer in production)
    www.dnbradio.com

Yea exactly.. maybe a little more range on the sweeps.. and put it on every channel of a mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Looks cool.. I have to give them credit for trying something totally different. The filters in place of the standard 3 band EQ would definitely take some time to get used to but when I think about the way that I mix, I could certainly accomplish the same thing but better using this setup.. with practice.

Definitely for techno in particular it makes a lot of sense.

But the only thing is, that this is unlikely to be more than a limited run, because people who have to own a mixer for others to use.. that is to say clubs and sound companies, need to provide gear that is rider friendly, and this won't be. But people who like the idea of this mixer, have money, and who don't have to care what other people think.. they'll like it
    I'd like to agree, especially on the 'rider friendly' issue.

Do you notice btw that Hawtin, after 've been one of the biggest promotors of Traktor software, now returns to hardware and analogue quality?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisBdrmDJ 2.0 View Post
    No crossfaders? two(unnecessary)headphone jacks.Different,Yes,Pretty,No!and at that price point,I rather get the sexier Rane mp 2015 (rotary with 2 soundcards).
    The MODEL 1 is designed for two Dj's to play simultaneously hence the dual headphone sockets.

It's a great idea as it means I can run two Cycloops samplers at once.