Thread: recording the timecode signal to a wave file

recording the timecode signal to a wave file

I downloaded an ipod app called tonetable that simply emits a control tone, and acts like a timecode vinyl. I never realzied that all it is is a sine tone, has anyone tried to chop up your movements and edit/rearrange them? And has anyone experimented with throwing random sounds into it, or filtered loops from a sound source?

Quote Originally Posted by biunbjk View Post
    I downloaded an ipod app called tonetable that simply emits a control tone, and acts like a timecode vinyl. I never realzied that all it is is a sine tone, has anyone tried to chop up your movements and edit/rearrange them? And has anyone experimented with throwing random sounds into it, or filtered loops from a sound source?
    It's not just a sine tone. There's an awful lot more going on to allow the software to track position and direction.
    Click here for mixes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    I once DJ'd to a room of 500 Shoreditch hipsters using only my rigid cock and a empty jar of Marmite

Both Serato and Traktor use their own proprietary tone.

ok, it seems like you should be able to record it and rearrange it then

it has different effects on different settings so not everything you do will translate into what you are trying to do. The signal contains a L/R offset to show direction and a constant raise or fall in pitch (no most people cannot hear it) to show position. A lot of programs will generate a timecode CD for you if you want to try just make sure you do not try to playback in absolute mode or it will only register forward and back signals not position.