Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dinner Hour..

I like to switch it up and keep it interesting. But the one thing I love to do is to build the energy up as we get closer towards dancing time, that way by the time we open up the dance floor, people can't wait to get down. I'll start off with the lovey dovey stuff, preferably stuff that people can sing along too, then hit up some oldies to please the elders, then gradually pick it up with funner songs, songs that used to be good dance songs, but are no longer good enough to play during dancing. Just have fun with it.

Also, I know most respectable DJ's wouldn't ever do this, but I've seen some guys who I thought were legit DJ's break this rule. Don't play sad-sappy-moodkiller songs about breakups or heartbreak at a wedding. It's such a downer and so inappropriate. Know your tunes. You also shouldn't be playing songs that are blatantly explicit or contain strong sexual references. These are family events people.

The client picks it, but mostly good songs that don't really fit with or are conducive to dancing. The last 2 have asked for older country/pop love songs (rural area) that don't fit well for dancing but are great songs none the less.

I always offer a customized playlist depending on what the client wants. Say they love Indie Rock music (Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons, etc.) and also some alternative (Linkin Park, Sum 41, Green Day, etc.) and maybe some hip hop. Let's throw it all in. You want to make sure that every aspect of the wedding from a music stance reflects who your clients are as individuals and together as a couple.

Personally, at my wedding, my wife and I elected to play all sort of 90s and 00s throwbacks during cocktail and dinner - because that's who we are!

Hope this helps!

lowest form of music? lol

Quote Originally Posted by drzinc View Post
    Whatever the client wants....
    This. I have the client pick genres or come up with appropriate tracks given a set of them. The objective, IMHO, is to invite talking and keep the mood light. The dancing will come soon enough.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...