Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSL and Rane SL 3 help

SSL and Rane SL 3 help

Hi all. I recently purchased the Rane sl3, I bought a brand new laptop but alas the spec wasn't enough
    To run Rane.
    Looking in the manual, the minimum spec is a dual core Intel pentium 2ghz processor with 2gb ram.

I have sourced another laptop after getting a refund, which is an i3 dell latitude 3440 with 4gb, 500gb hard drive and windows 10 pro. The processor speed is 1.9ghz. Will this be enough?? This is £30 above budget, but I can stretch it

SSL is not a memory hog and does not need much of a processor to run so your new laptop with those specs will be enough. You could even run it on a modern atom tablet...
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

What about the Rane?
    The last laptop I got was an Intel celeron processor, the problem I had, which made me think it was a laptop problem and not the Rane box. Is that only the right hand deck would work with the control vinyl. The left hand deck, the waveform dissapeared, the virtual deck would spin in the opposite direction, however normal vinyl would play fine on thru mode just fine

The odds are that the SL3 is fine. After all, it's just a sound interface.

What's more likely is that your previous laptop wasn't powerful enough. Your new one is.

Why? The i-series is 20% faster than the Core2Duo series. As such, you'll easily meet the 2GHz requirement.

Just be sure to make sure that you check for DPC latency with a DPC Latency Checker (thesycon.de one doesn't do Win 10).
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Ok....? And in English a dpc latency checker is...? And what does it do? I do apologise, my PC skills run as far as a dead dodo

Quote Originally Posted by Martyb View Post
    my PC skills run as far as a dead dodo
    You may want to consider getting a Macbook because the closed platform is already optimized for low latency audio. Windows isn't by default, so it needs to be optimized... which may require going under the covers.

Keeping this simple, DPC - short for deferred procedure call - is how MacOS and Windows work with digital audio while allowing it to change via audio manipulation programs (like DJ apps). The lower the latency - the time between something being "pressed" and something being "heard" - the more real-time audio will feel. Think of vinyl scratching. If there was a long delay between moving a vinyl forward and hearing the scratching sound, your performance would be thrown off. The objective for everyone is to get latency as close to zero. Since most systems have a latency delay less than 15 milliseconds, it's very close to real-time.

Here's the problem. Certain hardware drivers interrupt the processing of digital audio and cause glitches and audio dropouts. While you can compensate by giving the computer more time to process audio, you also increase the delay. When your computer goes 30ms and more, you will definitely notice the delay... so keeping your latency below 15ms or as close to zero as possible is vital. Lowering the delay will make your CPU work harder, so it's important to meet the published specs.

To help optimize Windows, using a DPC Latency Checker program will identify hardware drivers that cause audio glitches. If there's a newer driver, then installing it may solve the problem. If there's no newer driver, then disabling it (which disables the associated hardware) is another way to solve the problem. The usual culprits are:

* WiFi (for some reason, these drivers cause the most problems)
    * ACPI batteries (so that the computer tells you how much charge is left. Was very common in last 2 years, but seems less common now)
    * Nvidia/AMD beta drivers (less common but does happen)

Chasing these problems down is a serious pain in the ass. A lot of people like to blame Windows, but it's not. This problem is due to the programmers that wrote the hardware drivers for Windows.

FWIW, I've been using DJ apps on Windows since 2007. Whenever I switch to a newer laptop and/or OS, this issue pops up.

Good luck.
    Last edited by KLH; 02-13-2016 at 07:40 PM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Thank you for this. It sort of makes sense, luckily I have a PC tech guy who would understand this more.
    If I'd had the money I would've definitely gotten the Mac book. But my budget is only £300

Have you used Serato before and do you have a clear understanding of the difference between SSL and serato DJ ?

Are you aware that SSL/serato scratch live is discontinued and unsupported ?
    Tech1200s & 1210 pioneer cdj1000, DDJ-sx2,vci-300, serato itch ssl sdj, rane sl1 57 62, RCF-745's qsc k12 jbl-vrx918sp, JBL-VRX932LAP, DriveRack-PA2, Macbook pro+windows 7, Macbook Air Ipad,benQ-mx620st Projector,JBL-VRXhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAQ0GZu_P8

Que?? No, not used serato before. I bought the sl3, and everything was supplied with the shipment. http://www.bopdj.com/digital-dj/dvs-...-live-sl3.html

You'll be fine with Serato DJ, I had it running perfectly on my laptop with the same spec before that died, and resorted to an old core 2 duo desktop as a temp measure.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads