Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could anyone recommend a record pool?

Could anyone recommend a record pool?

I'm still a bedroom DJ using a controller and Traktor but in the future I intend to start playing to people so am expecting to need a record pool (do you need to already play paid gigs to join one?).

The main music i'll get from it is somewhere between pop music and house tracks (doesn't mean EDM).

I play little to no Hip Hop and most of the sites i've been on tend to be dominated by that or RnB. I also don't want to pay too much with me not earning anything from it- just a hobby at the moment.

If anyone could recommend some sites i could try it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Please take a look at (and feel free to follow) my soundcloud
    http://soundcloud.com/alexreeduk
    And PLEASE like my facebook page, would mean a lot!

In my opinion. You don't NEED to be a member of a record pool if you are playing out. Between iTunes, beatport, and other (paid) sources you can find all of the tracks that you need to DJ. It about cost. If you are spending 20-30 bucks a month on new tracks, then take a look at pools.

Pools do give you access to a lot of tracks, some that you may have never heard of, and remixes (my big reason for initially being a member of a pool).

For a low cost pool, I recommend videotoolz or mymp3pool. As a hobbyist I don't know if you qualify, but it never hurts to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by spinthe1sand2s View Post
    In my opinion. You don't NEED to be a member of a record pool if you are playing out. Between iTunes, beatport, and other (paid) sources you can find all of the tracks that you need to DJ. It about cost. If you are spending 20-30 bucks a month on new tracks, then take a look at pools.

Pools do give you access to a lot of tracks, some that you may have never heard of, and remixes (my big reason for initially being a member of a pool).

For a low cost pool, I recommend videotoolz or mymp3pool. As a hobbyist I don't know if you qualify, but it never hurts to apply.
    That is true actually, i probably don't spend that much at the moment but I'm thinking if i was a member i would expand my collection much more readily. Also thanks for the recommendations.

Thanks, that second link is especially helpful. Considering the $1 5 day trial with digital dj pool to test it out

Definitely get into a pool considering your goals. I tried going without one when I was gigging at first, and it was a huge handicap. When you are in a pool, you will download much more music and freely experiment in ways you will never will when buying tracks individually.

If you are doing any pop, pools will offer remixes that are essential for keeping the floor busy - everything from the subtle (redrums, hook first edits) to the radical (with EDM style builds and drops).

I'm a member of DJ City. They do require a club reference, but honestly I don't know if they even check beyond making sure the club is legit. When I asked the manager if she ever received a call or email from DJ City, she said "no". You could try it with a club in your area and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by b.ill View Post
    Definitely get into a pool considering your goals. I tried going without one when I was gigging at first, and it was a huge handicap. When you are in a pool, you will download much more music and freely experiment in ways you will never will when buying tracks individually.

If you are doing any pop, pools will offer remixes that are essential for keeping the floor busy - everything from the subtle (redrums, hook first edits) to the radical (with EDM style builds and drops).

I'm a member of DJ City. They do require a club reference, but honestly I don't know if they even check beyond making sure the club is legit. When I asked the manager if she ever received a call or email from DJ City, she said "no". You could try it with a club in your area and see if it works.
    Thanks, what do you think of DJ City? The previews on their website and disgusting quality, i'm going to assume it's a different version you'd get if you were a member?

And yeah i might try it but it could be REALLY awkward if i get a phone call from the club a few days later like "Errrrm you've never played here?"
    Last edited by alexreedDJ; 02-10-2016 at 05:12 AM.

I was a member on DJCity for a while and liked how they had a lot of Pop/Top40 music and house but I've gotten more into just EDM so I'm now using ZipDJ.

I did require "club reference" when signing up but I wasn't playing in any so I just put in the name of the nearest club and it worked fine lol. The quality of the music is good. It's almost always 320kbps MP3's. I think you'll like it!

Oh by the way I tried Digital DJ Pool and didn't like it that much. It's decent for the price but you get what you pay for!
    Last edited by Baller95; 02-10-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baller95 View Post
    I was a member on DJCity for a while and liked how they had a lot of Pop/Top40 music and house but I've gotten more into just EDM so I'm now using ZipDJ.

I did require "club reference" when signing up but I wasn't playing in any so I just put in the name of the nearest club and it worked fine lol. The quality of the music is good. It's almost always 320kbps MP3's. I think you'll like it!

Oh by the way I tried Digital DJ Pool and didn't like it that much. It's decent for the price but you get what you pay for!
    Thanks man

I use Franchise Record Pool. I pay $20 a month and they don't ask for a club reference. They are more geared towards rap, rnb, and reggae - which I notice you said you don't want. My general thoughts are that pools are important when you play a lot of gigs. If it's just a hobby you can probably look for good deals on Amazon where you can buy compilation CDs with 30 or more songs for around $10.