Thread: Does the 8" EV ZXA1-90B sound better than the 12" ZLX-12p?

Does the 8" EV ZXA1-90B sound better than the 12" ZLX-12p?

Wondering. The EV 8" ZXA $500 vs the EV 12" ZLX-12p $350.
    Which one sounds better? Just curious

Any of you compared the two side by side? I have the ZLX 12ps BTW.
    I heard alot of good reveiws about the sound off this little 8". But of course most everybody is really happy with their ZLX 12s too.
    I am not a professional DJ. It's a backyard hobby I love! In the garage. Numark ndx-500, American Audio 10 mxr , 4 BFM tuba 24s, EV ZLX 12p's, Truss full of lights. I STILL have all my equipment as of June 2019!

The ZXA uses better drivers and it's bi-amped, so chances are it sounds better, though it probably won't go as loud.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Bill is correct, the ZXA1 sounds better but doesn't go quite as loud.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

In what way do they sound better. More bass etc?

How many people could these speakers cover. These 8 inch speakers alone, without a sub.

What are other brands that are similar to this zxa1 8 inch
    I am not a professional DJ. It's a backyard hobby I love! In the garage. Numark ndx-500, American Audio 10 mxr , 4 BFM tuba 24s, EV ZLX 12p's, Truss full of lights. I STILL have all my equipment as of June 2019!

The weight is pretty impressive also.
    ZXA1-90B = 19 pounds
    ZXA1-Sub = 46 pounds

(ZLX-12P = 34 pounds)
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymusic View Post
    How many people could these speakers cover. These 8 inch speakers alone, without a sub.
    Not many. Subs are not optional equipment, unless you're doing bingo games at the old folks home.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

According to EV's numbers.. they are both 126dB max spl.. and the ZXA1 goes DEEPER (-3 @ 60Hz) than the ZLX12P (-3 @65Hz). I own the ZXA1's and have heard the ZLX12p's.. and I highly question these numbers. But.. the ZXA1's are in fact really nice sounding.. almost hifi. They are tiny, light, look good, and very nicely made. In their padded carry bags they are ridiculously easy to transport.. I carry two of them over one shoulder and putting them on a stand takes no effort. Super easy. So yea, for those gigs where you don't need to go super loud.. eg house parties, small weddings, etc.. WITH A SUB.. sure. WITH A SUB, they sound excellent. Without, you will run out of gas on them really fast. I use mine for monitors on my larger system.. I bought them for that, and they are great for that. I think that with a sub they'd be very nice for smaller events.. but I certainly would not expect them to be any louder (with a sub) than your current speakers (with a sub).
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 01-24-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    According to EV's numbers.. they are both 126dB max spl.. and the ZXA1 goes DEEPER (-3 @ 60Hz) than the ZLX12P (-3 @65Hz). I own the ZXA1's and have heard the ZLX12p's.. and I highly question these numbers. But.. the ZXA1's are in fact really nice sounding.. almost hifi. They are tiny, light, look good, and very nicely made. In their padded carry bags they are ridiculously easy to transport.. I carry two of them over one shoulder and putting them on a stand takes no effort. Super easy. So yea, for those gigs where you don't need to go super loud.. eg house parties, small weddings, etc.. WITH A SUB.. sure. WITH A SUB, they sound excellent. Without, you will run out of gas on them really fast. I use mine for monitors on my larger system.. I bought them for that, and they are great for that. I think that with a sub they'd be very nice for smaller events.. but I certainly would not expect them to be any louder (with a sub) than your current speakers (with a sub).
    I support what he said ! Ive come across a pair for 600$ ! And the zxa1 sounds amazing

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk