Quote Originally Posted by A#1 DJ View Post
I have found that at a Wedding Reception that most people are out of their comfort zone with all these strangers, and when a familiar and normally loathed dance tune comes on it seems to bring some comfort and familiarity to people which helps take their guard down, this can be a shared experience too.... on the dance floor
Consider also that most Brides have not been to a Reception before but the ones that have seem have a better understanding of the concept
This exactly. I end up playing a LOT of these songs at a LOT of the gigs I do - because I have people coming up and requesting them, or have the host/bride request them.

Have these songs been overplayed? Sure. But when there's a party going on, the liquor is flowing, and people want to dance, they still want to hear a lot of these songs. Certainly, many of these songs have ended up on a "don't play" list for me this year, but very few of them have ended up on more than one of those lists.

I'd have no trouble finding other music to play, but if I never played these songs, I'd disappoint a lot of people too.

Every crowd is different, though. I did a wedding for a young couple who really only wanted to hear music from the last 3 years or so, and didn't care if the older generation didn't like that music because they had lots of friends their age at the wedding. I had a great time and probably only played 2 or 3 songs off this list. I've had other events where I played half the songs off this list, because the crowd was a mix of people from 30-60, and that's what they wanted.

At the end of the day, it's about pleasing your client and your audience/dance floor, not so much about pleasing yourself. If pleasing yourself is your goal, then you should probably be a club DJ or producer rather than a mobile DJ...