Thread: Recording LIVE SOUND / PA or PODCAST with Ableton....???

Recording LIVE SOUND / PA or PODCAST with Ableton....???

Provided I have enough sets of ins & outs (4+) on my audio interface....

1. Should I use the extra pair of outs on my audio interface and route them to a external/portable audio recorder (kind of like a rec out on a standard mixer).....???

Although.....

2. Can't I just route the extra pair of outs on my audio interface "back into" my audio interface thru a line-in that is not occupied by anything else (i.e. mic)....Therefore defeating the need/purpose for a portable audio recorder all together...???

OR...If both routes are really unnecessary and will only cause problems...

3. Isn't it easier to just record the whole podcast / Live Audio performance (mics, music etc)....all within Ableton itself "internally"...???

I am still learning Ableton and have never tried to use it in a live audio feed or radio type setting....BUT....I believe you would need to create an extra "mix bus track" inside Ableton....and than route your master into that newly created track for recording...Right...???

Hopefully a in-house Ableton expert or anyone with extensive knowledge using a DAW within a live audio/radio podcast context can confirm. Thanks.
    Last edited by DjBetta; 12-29-2015 at 03:20 AM.
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~

I think I was not so clear in my thread post...

I will be "conducting" the live PA / podcast with Ableton as my "Main Mixer/Performance Tool".

And....I wanted to know which methods I listed would work best for recording my live performance/PA event "back into" Ableton.
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but at a shot in the dark to maybe guide you correctly...

So you have your vocals in one track, your music in another etc etc, and it's all coming out of your master right?

Create another scene and under your I/O's you can select what it's input will be, in which case you would select Master as it's input. I'm not looking at it so I cant guide you in a better direction at the moment. If that's not an option, you can select the track and the top pull down menu under I/O's you can select resampling, and then source would be master. That way anything that comes out of master is recording. Of course you'd need to arm the multiple tracks to record for this, and they all will based on their sources.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you're looking for, but I know zero about live broadcasting.
    Find me everywhere @youseenofilter

Well as a logic user, I know I can tick the R button on any channel and have a recording done on that channel while playing the other stuff. Now the other option is to plug an extra device on any available output and record using that.