Thread: usb audio interface for windows 10

usb audio interface for windows 10

Hi guys, I'm looking for a usb interface to connect to my Windows 10 computer.

This isn't for DJing, but rather for playing music out to a PA mixer or directly into powered PA or studio monitor speakers
    and for recording directly from a condenser microphone, spoken word content onto a computer.

I was using an MAudio MobilePre and loved it, but it doesn't support Windows 10 and support for it is dead now from what I can tell, so looking to move on.

Because Windows 10 is so new, most of the products out there that MIGHT work, don't officially say they do yet, and don't have Win10 specific drivers. I know a lot of interfaces had trouble with Win7 which could usually be worked around, so I don't want to take a chance. I need to get this and do a recording with it ASAP, so I don't have time to get something that MIGHT or SHOULD work fine.

I'm looking in the $100 range and would like something like the Scarlett 2i2 but it is a bit more than I want to pay... trying to keep this under $100.

Need phantom power
    Prefer balanced outs
    Prefer 2 input channels but only one needs to have a mic pre option.
    Would consider a USB small format mixer if it featured 2-way operation, and not just recording.

I'm considering a Behringer UC22 which has midas pre-amps, but not the less expensive UC2 which has Xenyx pre-amps. Not sure if it plays well with Windows 10.

Not sure if it fills the bill or not, but the Peavey PV6 v2 looks promising, but looks like it isn't in stock yet, having been recently announced.
    I am also considering getting the Blue Icicle for my immediate needs or recording, and then getting the Scarlett 2i2 later when my cash flow increases (in a little over a week assuming Chase Mortgage doesn't drop the ball AGAIN -- I have a house that's been in escrow for 2 1/2 months and for which I've been promised funding to me in the next few days, for over a month now.)

I can get a Scarlett Solo for $60 locally off Craigslist, but it doesn't have balanced outs.
    I can also get a ART Dual Pre for $50 off Craigslist or around $65 new.

Any first hand knowledge with Windows 10 or comments on specific interfaces' sound quality is appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ampnation View Post
    Any first hand knowledge with Windows 10 or comments on specific interfaces' sound quality is appreciated.
    Windows 10 driver model seems to be quite similar to Windows 8.1 - so if there's an 8.1 driver, you'll be all set. Looking at the MobilePre, AVID has a Win8.1 driver, so I'd use that as long as possible... so that's the free option.
    Last edited by KLH; 12-21-2015 at 07:08 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Report back -- I ended up buying the Scarlett Solo. I reasoned that I don't need more than that, and I could be assured it worked with Windows 10. The available driver was actually a later version than they said worked. 3.1.10 vs 2.5.2.

I did my recording work which was mini-ads for a corporate phone music-on-hold bit. Haven't uploaded the files yet, but they sound fantastic as .wav files. I listened to the playback after the vocal talent was done, and for a second, I thought she was talking to me vs. listening to her thru my MDR-V700 headphones. I will go out on a limb and say the Scarlett Solo was a step up in most ways from the MobilePre I used before, but no A/B comparison, so maybe that's not fair.

One way it isn't superior is, the monitor output is RCA stereo vs. XLR balanced. If I really needed that, I would have opted for one of the other models like the Scarlett 2i4 which has balanced TRS outs.

EDIT: As for the MobilePre, I will sell it to someone who doesn't have Windows 10 yet, for cheap.
    Last edited by ampnation; 12-22-2015 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Congratulations! Nothing like getting what you need and it exceeds your expectations.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by tarary View Post
    Because Windows 10 is so new, most of the products out there that MIGHT work, don't officially say they do yet, and don't have Win10 specific drivers. I know a lot of interfaces had trouble with Win7 which could usually be worked around, so I don't want to take a chance. I need to get this and do a recording with it ASAP, so I don't have time to get something that MIGHT or SHOULD work fine.
    You've just replied to a 2015 thread. I reckon the problem is solved by now. Plenty of products working within W10 OS available.
    Last edited by Manu; 07-12-2019 at 04:29 AM.