Thread: Did you know know that Marco V no longer plays trance?!

Did you know know that Marco V no longer plays trance?!

Warning: mini-rant coming up.

Last weekend I saw Marco V, MIKE Push, and Johan Gielen perform at a local club as part of an event billed "Beyond Time". Maaan was I excited. It's been a while since I been out and I was looking forward to a night filled with these guys who have made some incredible trance tracks over the years. Marco V was to play a "Producer set", MIKE was to play a "Past Present Future set", and Johan was going to play a "Classics set". What more could you ask for?

Marco V was first up and he starts off with Marcel Wood's Advanced. But... it's some sort of remix. And the next song was a remix of a classic as well. At some point he played Luvstruck and it was the original so I got back into the groove but the track after that was pure electro-house. And the next few that followed were the same and I did not understand why everyone around me was bouncing around. Finally, I hear the tell-tale sign of Godd incoming and I get ready for this monster track but something is weird. Godd is 140 BPM but since it came right after all this electro-house it must have been playing no quicker than 132. Ughhh this pissed me off. The track I wanted to hear the most was ruined (for me) because it was so slow! I have chair raved to that track many times so it felt really, really wrong to hear it play so slowly.

TL;DR Marco V makes and plays house nowadays. I expected trance and I was greatly disappointed. I am not blaming him because he is doing what he wants and other DJs have moved on as well. I just didn't do my research and was caught off guard.

MIKE went on after and actually played a good set with lots of classics. Some of his set was a bit cheesy but overall it was good. This surprised me a bit because I do not really like his radio show, Club Elite Sessions.

Last was Johan and he had the most entertaining set of the trio. For starters he is quite hilarious to watch because he moves around quite a bit behind the decks and sings along when there are lyrics and plays the air piano. He played some really old classics as well (e.g. PvD - For an Angel, Ayla, Greece 2000 - 3 Drives) which was just a bit "lame" but he had some interesting remixes. Not really a trance set but very bumping and fun.

Someone made a video of the event:
    Mixcloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/vkatkov/
    Hercules RMX + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (white) + Traktor Kontrol F1

Shame that but over in England, Trance and Hard House is no where near as prevalent as it was 10/12 years ago. Godd is one of my all time favourite tunes, and a classic I play at parties with mates who I used to go out with every weekend.

Never been to Canada so I don't know how big the Trance or Hard House scenes where when they were at the peak in UK and Ibiza. But I would be disappointed to hear Marco V play the original pitched down, but didn't he release a slower but chunkier version around 2010?
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Had he been on later it might of been a bit different but he probably wanted the earlier set if he was show casing newer material he was working on.

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    Shame that but over in England, Trance and Hard House is no where near as prevalent as it was 10/12 years ago. Godd is one of my all time favourite tunes, and a classic I play at parties with mates who I used to go out with every weekend.

Never been to Canada so I don't know how big the Trance or Hard House scenes where when they were at the peak in UK and Ibiza. But I would be disappointed to hear Marco V play the original pitched down, but didn't he release a slower but chunkier version around 2010?
    I don't think the scene was as big as the UK counterparts but there was still quite a following here. Big clubs such as Guvernment (recently closed) hosted many major parties and DJs. Markus Schulz released Toronto '09 as one of his compilations. Trance has also taken a backseat to the other genres here.
    You can hear him play Godd in the video I linked. I think it's the original track.
    Mixcloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/vkatkov/
    Hercules RMX + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (white) + Traktor Kontrol F1

Yeah that's too slow. I couldn't load the vid before. It's sounds like he's mixing something over it or it is an updated version.

When I used to hear that out when it was originally released, it would have been on abou +3/4% as well.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Yeah that's too slow. I couldn't load the vid before. It's sounds like he's mixing something over it or it is an updated version.

When I used to hear that out when it was originally released, it would have been on abou +3/4% as well.