Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beatmatching

Last edited by ImNoDJNo; 11-22-2015 at 08:57 PM.

I have never used sync EVER. I am used to having a cue button I press it on every first beat of the bar take the pitch fader from + to - and Boom the beats are matched. Not having that cue button really makes me struggle. It keeps me in check. I have my screen turned off I'm at the point I have know idea what's playing next or what the BPM is I put some tracks with similar BPM in a crate and load from a midi controller (launchpad). I feel like I am wasting time doing this but something inside me says master it.

I realized I was wrong in saying just matching the tapeand fine tuning from there. I never noticed the BPM is in the record. Made me feel real smart. Bahahaha

I feel there is something I am missing

Why even cue the record if everything can be done with the pitch fader?

Quote Originally Posted by EXM View Post
    I can beatmatch by ear but I cannot beatmatch in time without a cue button. Any suggestions? When I make the transition to vinyl I run into errors because cueing the record takes time in itself. The cue button makes life so much easier I want to be comfortable of djing in all forms. When I have my dicers all is good.
    The trick on vinyl if you want to "drop" it onto the beat is to push the vinyl at exactly the speed the platter will be moving it, if you rock the vinyl back and forth you should be able to time it so when you rock it forward, the beat hits on beat, so then when you are ready to play, rock it forward and let it play, and your track is on beat.

Learning to pitch shift is a good skill, but it won't let you drop the vinyl from the first beat into the master mix. Which I think is basically what you wanted to know about. Takes a bit of practice but its pretty easy.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Honestly I don't want to touch the platter at all it's too "jerky" when beatmatching. I literally just can't find the spot I tried using zero as the spot no luck. If I can get it in beat I can ride it with the pitch in beat. I just can't find the spot EVER. Bahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Adzm00 View Post
    The trick on vinyl if you want to "drop" it onto the beat is to push the vinyl at exactly the speed the platter will be moving it, if you rock the vinyl back and forth you should be able to time it so when you rock it forward, the beat hits on beat, so then when you are ready to play, rock it forward and let it play, and your track is on beat.

Learning to pitch shift is a good skill, but it won't let you drop the vinyl from the first beat into the master mix. Which I think is basically what you wanted to know about. Takes a bit of practice but its pretty easy.
    I would much rather cue it in my headphones and drop it in on beat. No worries.

When it's 1 bpm off from zero I got it no worries. When I start with the pitch fader full speed no luck can't find the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by EXM View Post
    When it's 1 bpm off from zero I got it no worries. When I start with the pitch fader full speed no luck can't find the spot.
    It's a binary search, and you'll have to train your ear to instantly tell if what you're hearing in your headphones is a little faster or slower than what is playing out of the monitors.

You'll probably start to "get it" with practice after a month or two.

To truly master beatmatching vinyl takes much longer. Records will drift little amounts due to many reasons. When you get really good "riding the pitch" means you keep your hand on the pitch fader for an entire mix, listening closely, and moving the pitch fader a few millimeters up or down when needed to correct for drift. When you get really good at it it's in-audible.
    "Oooh look at me.... I wrote the Internet!"