Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667

Thread: * Brag About The Gear You Just Bought Thread *

People who understand subwoofers love REL stuff and I would have got one, but the cost quickly increases up their range...well into the territory of Sunfire or SVS.

I always wanted M&K since I saw their adverts with "discover deep bass" printed on big woofer cones in the 90s.
    [nerdfacts] They actually invented the subwoofer as a concept and made the first commercial CD [/nerdfacts].

A decent, musical sub adds something nothing else can give. From either the full sound of a deep instrument, to the moment when you're thinking you're feeling it rather than hearing much...until you finally notice the walls are rattling because you've hit the house's resonant frequency.

I have one of those friend's who always happens on a crazy deal. One time I was at his appartment and saw a pair of JBL 15inch behemoths with horns at the top. Something like 4648A / 2441. Turns out some cinema was closing down and needed to get rid of their setup. You can never get too much bass...or hate your neighbours enough.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

anyways on my list at the moment are finding some fujitsu eclipse speakers (i know....fujitsu wtf) and some Kef 105 speakers. One day....
    eventually some avant garde horns.

but really i'm too stingy to buy myself such toys.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Almost clicked on a KEF sub before I went for the REL - ended up with an even better deal cash in hand. Just scored a branded phono cable for my sub while I was at it, in my favourite shop (owned by a mate) and got it for a symbolic pound.

There is a pair of KEF 150s in Essex Southend-on-Sea at the moment. Reminds me of my own main speakers as I have a similar configuration. I would be wary going for one of these as they are ancient... I'm stingy just about the same, but I will get the cash out for the right deal.

I didn't even know Fujitsu made speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

I have one of those friend's who always happens on a crazy deal. One time I was at his appartment and saw a pair of JBL 15inch behemoths with horns at the top. Something like 4648A / 2441. Turns out some cinema was closing down and needed to get rid of their setup. You can never get too much bass...or hate your neighbours enough.
    I know those - I'm going to brag as mine are bigger (that's what she said). But these JBLs have a clear advantage, they are build to last. Mine had one speaker replacement and two suspensions crumbling. I've seen too many speakers falling apart around the suspension, or the dust caps falling off, or the cones splitting etc. The guy who sold me my REL yesterday mentioned exactly that, he had a set of vintage Technics in storage waiting to be sold, when he sold them he found out they turned to mush and dust.

Anyway, yeah I'd have that for a dollar, those JBLs are ugly but generally speaking you don't look at sound.

(edit) - just placed an order on some Sony 7.1 ES range receiver, killer deal for my secondary home cinema setup.
    Last edited by Manu; 12-24-2023 at 06:20 AM.

Bought a Yamaha full HD full 4K receiver 7.1 last week - it takes any video source and upscales it, running it with a folded horn type Yamaha sub and a full set of Jamo speakers. Now owning 2 x home cinemas, ordered a Dolby Atmos additional soundbar arriving on Monday for the bigger home cinema setup. Tried some Pink Floyd and Queen yesterday, some Slipknot this morning, feels great like you're in there. Can't wait to add that Atmos thing, going to test that with the Avengers boxset and Blade Runner 2049. Might as well get a bucket of popcorn ready for next week.

(i know....fujitsu wtf)
    Seen the British news recently?
    Last edited by Manu; 01-20-2024 at 07:05 AM.

Got a Harley Benton AW-5 Custom Line Auto-Wah pedal. Get ready for those disco/funk rhythm guitars/riffs.

^^^I didn't know they made these, always had this image of a Crybaby and foot control in mind.

Dolby Atmos has landed in my entertainment room, I wasn't expecting the bar to be that wide - it's so good, it makes the youtube sound quality / compression a little obvious in places. Also helped to simplify all my HDMI connections. Bought another pile of action movies from the local shop.
    Last edited by Manu; 01-23-2024 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    ^^^I didn't know they made these, always had this image of a Crybaby and foot control in mind.
    Haha yeah, I too was thinking of getting a manual one first.

Actually auto-wah's been around since the mid-70's.

Deep down somewhere, there's a Kirk Hammett crying in a corner.