Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a Yamaha DXS18?

Anyone got a Yamaha DXS18?

I'm thinking of getting one - hearing they are beasts and only need 1 for 99% of what I'll be doing.

Just wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it, what they had and how it compares.

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one - hearing they are beasts and only need 1 for 99% of what I'll be doing.

Just wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it, what they had and how it compares.
    I was wondering the same thing ! Anyone as tested it ????

I got a hold of a yamaha rep in CA and he's telling me one is all i'll need...it with 2 DXR12 tops is enough to shake the keys in your pocket 1/2 way across a HS gym. He says one DXS18 out does two of their DXS15's.

Found a guy that has 2 and says it blows away the KW181 and he's gonna replace his 6 QSC HPR181 with four of the yamahas.

that all sounds impressive.

I can't find crap for meaningful specs on any sub out there so I'm trying to find as much 'first hand' reports as possible before I drop a pocketful of bills on one. Not keen on the weight, but if the output is sufficient and I only need one that's a plus.

I Have two ev 12" subs and have considered getting 2 more..they're light and small and great for smaller gigs but of course 2 won't rock a gym. 4 will do better, sound great but I doubt for a HS dance they'll do it. A wedding, sure. And 2 more cost more than one DXS18 ... ahh, decisions, decisions.

I'm a big fan of Yamaha, but not the DXS line. I used to have the DXS15, wasn't very impressed (maybe the bandpass, I don't know). The select-able crossover was great but the black finish was cheap, and it just didn't sound nearly as good as the DSR118, so I ended up getting another DSR118. Paired with 2 DXR12's, it's a great little setup.

I'll follow this thread though to see if anybody has heard it in person.

Edit: Also interested in this new "Cardioid Mode" - is this legit?
    Last edited by Dj DussT; 11-08-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj DussT View Post
    With 2 or more boxes yes.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
    I got a hold of a yamaha rep in CA and he's telling me one is all i'll need...it with 2 DXR12 tops is enough to shake the keys in your pocket 1/2 way across a HS gym. He says one DXS18 out does two of their DXS15's.
    I personally don't ask reps of their opinions seeing as how they are on payroll, I do ask the "facts" though. I haven't heard them yet but I would wait til I could hear them or I'd ask an authorized dealer of multiple brands what they think after they have tried them.
    www.TheRealDjPyro.com
    Hevi Rotation
    "I'm NOT an iPod, I'm a REAL DJ"

I spoke to a Yamaha engineer at Infocomm that claimed to have worked on the DXS18 and he said they're not really a part of the DXS line. They were designed to match the DSR115's but due to the appearance, Yamaha corporate wouldn't allow them to use the DSR designation.

I have owned the DSR115's and DSR118's for a while now and always felt that the DSR115's overpowered the DSR118's. I recently picked up the DXS18's and it's definitely a better match for the DSR115's. I'm very impressed with the DXS18's. I haven't tried the cardioid feature yet. I would love to be able to do that in tandem with the DSR118's

I'm a big fan of Yamaha, but not the DXS line. I used to have the DXS15, wasn't very impressed (maybe the bandpass, I don't know). The select-able crossover was great but the black finish was cheap, and it just didn't sound nearly as good as the DSR118, so I ended up getting another DSR118. Paired with 2 DXR12's, it's a great little setup.

I'll follow this thread though to see if anybody has heard it in person.

why the interest is Cardioid Mode ?
    Last edited by Paris McBryde; 07-20-2017 at 06:14 AM.
    Tech1200s & 1210 pioneer cdj1000, DDJ-sx2,vci-300, serato itch ssl sdj, rane sl1 57 62, RCF-745's qsc k12 jbl-vrx918sp, JBL-VRX932LAP, DriveRack-PA2, Macbook pro+windows 7, Macbook Air Ipad,benQ-mx620st Projector,JBL-VRXhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAQ0GZu_P8

I have one DXS18 and just bought one more.
    I don't know about QSC or other manufacturer but Yamaha is a great choice.

Hey guys, I recently bought a Yamaha DXS18 Subwoofer and decided to pair it with castors (casters if you're in the US).

The official SPW-1 castors are a crazy rip-off price of £100 a set.

So I went for aftermarket units.

This sent me on a wild goose chase looking for the exact measurements I need.

I looked through all the first few website results on google for castors and none of them had them.

Eventually found a couple of options I want to share on here, to save others the hours of work it took to find them. Amazon has some, but they never put the bolt hole spacing in the title,

and so you end up trawling through page after page of castors looking for that specific information. The plate size they list doesn't give any indication of the bolt spacing either.

I also cannot find any swivel and/or locking castors that also correspond with the bolt hole centres, so all of these are fixed castors without breaks, just like the official SPW-1 units

are.

Also for the record, the weight of the sub is 50kg.

The Yamaha SPW-1 castors are 75mm, and that's the size I went for below (i.e. the polyurethane ones).

For those in doubt, the bolt hole centres you need the castor plate to line up with are 81mm x 40mm. I'd imagine 80mm x 40mm will also work.

Product Links:

A low-quality option but good if you want to buy individual castors, not sets. They allow for 45kg each, but you will only ever rock back on to them with 2 castors, so the load will be

shared: https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...kg-grey-563715

£20 rubber castors with 100mm wheels: https://www.amazon.co.uk/100mm-Marki.../dp/B074ZWVTZR
    £24 polyurethane castors with 75mm wheels: https://www.amazon.co.uk/75mm-Polyur.../dp/B0751DFWB2
    £24 polyurethane castors with 100mm wheels: https://www.amazon.co.uk/100mm-Polyu.../dp/B07515JHLD
    £25 -polyurethane castors with 125mm wheels https://www.amazon.co.uk/125mm-Polyu.../dp/B07511WDXG
    £30 rubber castors with 125mm wheels: https://www.amazon.co.uk/125mm-Marki.../dp/B075118N7N

If anyone has any links to locking/swivel castors with 81mm x 40mm bolt hole centres, please comment. Would be useful when on the roadside and ramps etc.

All in all you can pay 1/5 the price of the Yamaha units and still get a sound result.

Hope that helps someone!