Thread: What do I need for my first set up?

What do I need for my first set up?

Sorry for probably another noob thread, but I'm looking for some info on getting my first set up for turntablism going.

I had bought a second hand set up from my friend, but, me being even noobier than I am now back then, didn't realise you needed different setups for mixing and turntablism. This is where I'm looking to clear some things up.
    I have two STR8-150 turntables, kinda messed up the heads when I was experimenting (not knowing you need different heads for scratching), I'm not show about the belt on them either (as far as I know different kind of belts work better for scratching/beat juggling etc.). I'm also using a Q-D6 mixer, which I also found out is useless because I can't change the crossfader cut off.

So basically my questions are:
    Are my turntables okay?
    What heads should I get?
    What cheap mixer can I get? (or can I change the crossfader maybe? don't think you can on this one)
    Do I need anything else? Particular headphones/speakers?

Thanks for the help

Hello, I'd say you need direct drive turntables [with a high torque] for scratching. You also need slipmats (obvious, but I'll just say anyway!) What cartridges and stylus' you get is up to you; most hip-hop/turntablists I know use shure or similar, where the headshell is in more replaceable parts than the ortofon style.

Pioneer do an entry level mixer [250] that is a baby version of a professional mixer - I have this, and I use the crossfader all the time. Good headphones are a must; don't go for fashion, go for quality. Pioneer again for me.