Thread: Split Cue on a mixer....???

Split Cue on a mixer....???

Never had a mixer or any experience with split cue.

What is it and how are you supposed to use it...??? And how does it make mixing/beat matching easier/better...???

Pros and Cons...???

Thanks.
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~

Basically it separates the audio signal between the left/right headphone so that the master signal is present in the other and the PFL in the other... some people find it easier to match beats like that.

When I did radio and the monitors were screwed up I used split cue on my Denon DN-X1600. Nice feature to have.

Is this feature beneficial to where if you are practicing at night and do not want to disturb people that are sleeping...You can still beatmatch and practice just with the headphones and split cue alone right...???

Do lots of practicing at night and would love to just use headphones and no monitors.
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~

Not all venues have monitors and sound takes time to travel. If the speaker is across the room and you match your beats to that sound, when you bring in the track it will be out of time. If people stand in front of this speaker or if it's pointing the other way the sound will be muffled, making it harder to mix.

I don't use split cue myself. I just play both songs in the same headphone.

I've used both over time, had an old rotary which only had the ability to use the headphones to cue or listen to main, not both which I found ok except for late night mixes (in an apartment block). When I got rid of the mixer, somewhat regretful sale, I had a Ecler which had cue blend allowing monitoring of the mains as well as the channel being cued. My most recent mixer, another rotary, has a split cue which basically splits main / cue to left / right headphone. Took a bit to get used to, but I really enjoy it now and find it easier to mix with as this is how I would mix when out with monitor vs. headphone. Easy to get used to and can still be used for late night mixing and keeping the neighbours happy.

If you're worried about it I'd say go to a store and try out some mixers and get the feel to how it is used. You'll quickly see whether you'll like it or not.

I have been mixing in headphones for years.. not just when I need to stay quiet at home or when there's no monitor.. but just because I have come to like it better.

But I never use split cue, actually it drives me insane. I play master and cue together in both ears same as Mitchie. On some mixers which don't have cue/master mix knobs, I'll cue both channels, beatmatch, then release both to get master when I'm about to start mixing (or flip a switch.. depends on the mixer).

On some mixers such as the older Rane rotary, and other older rotaries, you can't mix two channels in cue, you can't mix master with cue.. in that case I'm just fucked and have to mix with the monitor and one ear on the headphone, which I can still do but really prefer full headphones these days.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've started to use split cue in my appartment here because I don't have it blasting trying to not annoy my neighbours, and it is helping.

When I'm at home or out where there I have good (loud) monitoring levels I don't have a need for it.

So here where I have the output volume lower than normal, I use the split to put the output sound slightly into the headphones, I'd say it's about 10% of the volume of the cue though, so it's only slight but it does help.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads