Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The official ideas for DJF thread

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Great feedback guys. Keep it up.
    Ok ...to follow on from my above post regarding the battle Forum and DJF in general .

Usta goes to do life stuff

Ok I'm BACK ..... Maybe some kind of ( Bragging rights only ) coveted Award / Prize for winners and runners up ?.... Kinna like a reward system in a video game or an XP rank ?
    It's like " Digital Crack " for gamer's and makes them want to battled more ....Might sound stupid to some .... But it works.

Getting people involved in judging and commenting is a bit more tricky .... Can't make people do thing's .... But having more Battlers than judges needs to be changed some how ..Maybe 10 random members selected to be Battle judges with a roll and a fun badge that reads "BJ" Under "Member" in post profile ?... Again this might sound daft to some .... But it's fun and will help people get involved .... And can you imagine the fun we could have with " BJ'S"? LOLZ ....Maybe the badge of honor thing could also work for the winners and runners up ...as a i kind of Status symbol ?.... Maybe passed winners could judge ?

Maybe a new revamped format for Battles .... It's a little bit all over the place ....I know that time is an issue for a lot of people here so mix times have to be short ...Attention spans have shrunk over the last 10 years or so .... So i see why we have to have short mixes .... But maybe a bit more relaxed on Genre and equipment used ....I know it's been moving in that direction already .... But I'm talking about a one stop format kinna Sticky / rules change that will suit more people and open up battles to a bigger group of DJ's.

I know for a fact we have members here who could make this work .... With the right kind of promotion via " Social media " (as someone else pointed out) it could be a huge draw for people wanting to get involved in this forum.

I have an idea that i think could work to blow the battle forum and this whole forum up .... it could be huge ( Usta has friends in very high places ) .... but i want to sit on it for just a bit and see what happens here.

I know this forum is in transition atm and the new admins need to get to grips with things.... But this is the perfect time to shape what we already have into something HUGE.

lets hear from the rest of you

I like your ideas for the battle forum! I'm trying to get more involved in that now I've got more free time.

Seeing a post on another thread has just made me thought, how about having this forum linked to a DJ tech news site that doesn't already have a forum? I ran a forum years ago that we linked to a record shop to help increase the traffic for both of us.
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    I like your ideas for the battle forum! I'm trying to get more involved in that now I've got more free time.

Seeing a post on another thread has just made me thought, how about having this forum linked to a DJ tech news site that doesn't already have a forum? I ran a forum years ago that we linked to a record shop to help increase the traffic for both of us.
    Good idea.

This site was (or still is?) linked to a site called ClubNYC when I first joined up - it's now called ClubPlanet.com. It was a very active club forum back in the day, not sure about now. Maybe it is time to partner up with another site.

clubplanet.com is blocked in Saudi...makes it me want to see it more!
    * Follow me on Twitter * My latest mixes on Soundcloud / Hear This * All downloads on Hulkshare *
    andymunro.blogspot.co.uk for my tracklistings and links to my 320k mp3 downloads

Quote Originally Posted by andymunro View Post
    clubplanet.com is blocked in Saudi...makes it me want to see it more!
    you're not missing much. and I see they still have ClubNYC.com but it just redirects to the main site.

here's a screenshot to shoot that itch.

I got on with my VPN and was sorely disappointed there was no nakedness.

Battle forum idea

Just had an idea to increase voting on battles.

If there's only one battle active, it sometimes goes unnoticed but that's because it's rare to get a member, who rarely visits the Battle forum, to vote on a battle. The few who do participate usually vote on each others battles, if there are 2 or more going on at the same time - you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours kind of of thing.

For this reason, maybe we should hold off on posting battles to only 2 time a month? This way multiple battles get posted at the same time and the battlers can help one another.

And we all know, the more "likes" something has the more views it gets.

I think it's time to be ruthless and cull the mod list, there's way more listed than active members.

Whether the site is dead or not it looks dead when you hit the homepage. I would argue that there are a lot of things that could be done to make a more inviting landing page but two things should happen immediately:

1. The "Please note, if you are a returning djforums member from prior to 2012" needs to be removed. Nothing says dead site like a warning message that has been up for 4 years. It can be interpreted as the members not being loyal enough to come back soon after the switch or as the administrators not being engaged enough to remember to remove it; Either way it looks bad and should be removed. Anyone from 1.0 will figure out they need to re-register. Membership purges for inactivity are regular par-for-the-course on many websites even if the entire DB hadn't been lost. If I visit a site I haven't been to for 4 years I expect to re-register.

2. The abandoned news section should be disabled and hidden until there is content newer than 2014 to showcase. Discussing what to put there is important but right this second it should be disabled and the recent posts widget should be expanded and moved up.

Longer term the design for this forum needs an update. It could be in part that I have been here since 1.0 but the design is ancient and has never been updated. To invoke another forum I read: https://linustechtips.com/main/ their design is far more modern in comparison. The fact LinusTechTips runs IPS doesn't matter either as something similar (while still sticking with the classic DJF colours) could be accomplished with vB.
    Last edited by NickJames; 02-16-2016 at 02:25 PM.
    www.nickjames.ca
    → Reddit: omers on /r/DJs and /r/Beatmatch

Quote Originally Posted by NickJames View Post
    Whether the site is dead or not it looks dead when you hit the homepage. I would argue that there are a lot of things that could be done to make a more inviting landing page but two things should happen immediately:

1. The "Please note, if you are a returning djforums member from prior to 2012" needs to be removed. Nothing says dead site like a warning message that has been up for 4 years. It can be interpreted as the members not being loyal enough to come back soon after the switch or as the administrators not being engaged enough to remember to remove it; Either way it looks bad and should be removed. Anyone from 1.0 will figure out they need to re-register. Membership purges for inactivity are regular par-for-the-course on many websites even if the entire DB hadn't been lost. If I visit a site I haven't been to for 4 years I expect to re-register.

2. The abandoned news section should be disabled and hidden until there is content newer than 2014 to showcase. Discussing what to put there is important but right this second it should be disabled and the recent posts widget should be expanded and moved up.

Longer term the design for this forum needs an update. It could be in part that I have been here since 1.0 but the design is ancient and has never been updated. To invoke another forum I read: https://linustechtips.com/main/ their design is far more modern in comparison. The fact LinusTechTips runs IPS doesn't matter either as something similar (while still sticking with the classic DJF colours) could be accomplished with vB.

All of this!

while we're at it, the logo could use an update.