Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you aware of what you are doing and how you look?

Hybrid View

Are you aware of what you are doing and how you look?

Went to an event a while back and they had a DJ, she was quite skilled and based on our location and venue it was a city where they are probably paying her an appropriate figure for these mad tight skills. Corporate function playing all sorts of music. As a guest (very very rare for me) i was watching her and began to notice some little things she did that made me think about what iam doing. For example everytime she was about to work in a new track she always scratched her left hand cheek as she transitioned between songs she always had her eyes closed and her head was nodding. it was remarkably predictable.

Still for the next few events I did, i would take a step back and think about what I was doing for me one thing I instantly noticed is every time Iam CUEing something my left hand is always holding the fader on the channel or channels being cued down. I guess so I accidentally don't get something wrong in the mix. I really should take a camera and capture me actually DJing since its not something we are always looking at. Either way I always have a great night but its interesting all the little techniques that we do that makes us who we are. Whats your noticeable trait?
    OP

Trying not to fall over drunk.

Other than tapping by the side of a CDJ play button or cueing the vinyl, I don't have any really. I talk to people, have a little dance, smoke etc I'm pretty at home behind the decks, I've never been nervous and I don't treat it as if people are looking to me to do something crazy either.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

It's always good to be aware of your mannerisms while you perform... but ultimately people are there for the music.

Personally, I'm always looking to see if the DJ gets into the music. If he/she does, I think that it translates directly to the floor. Passion is contagious.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I don't worry about how I look, altho' I do notice others who look pretty cool, and some who look like they're on day-release. When I'm behind the decks myself, I don't think about it.

It is true, some people in the audience notice every little thing.. it's probably a mental condition (haha).. but non-the-less.. I personally do things habitually with my body and hands.. i.e. move eq faders etc.. even if I'm not adjusting them much because it keeps me in time with the mix and puts my hands in the right position just in case I do want to kill the bass or apply some timely eq at specific parts of the mix.

I think some spectators have it wrong in thinking the dj's are just touching knobs for no reason sometimes.. when really there are sometimes some hidden reasons behind touching a knob and not actually adjusting it...

/my2cents

I have a resting dick face, so people always think I'm mad.

I had a girl in the club come up to the booth once and said I needed to smile. I treated it like a request and said no. Smile mixing. Ha.
    Find me everywhere @youseenofilter

Quote Originally Posted by doomjockey View Post
    i have a dick resting on my face
    ftfy

www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by Adzm00 View Post
    ftfy

It's kind of like a zit. Only bigger.
    Find me everywhere @youseenofilter

Quote Originally Posted by DoomJockey View Post
    I have a resting dick face, so people always think I'm mad.

I had a girl in the club come up to the booth once and said I needed to smile. I treated it like a request and said no. Smile mixing. Ha.
    Ditto on resting bitch face, my "concentrating" face makes me look like I'm not having fun. When I have a few dancers to vibe off my expression completely changes though! A common behavioural tick I noticed in other Dj's is scratching or rubbing their noses too, from local guys in my city right up to international DJs.

I think I might dance like a spaz. I have had people laugh at me while I mix. haha