Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Key of the track sorted, but beats are different.

Youre trying to run before you can walk.

In my opinion key is about number 10 on the important things to learn as a DJ.

Phrasing is number 2. You need to work on your phrasing and mixing and ignore key for a long time until you can make a smooth mix.

EQ is number 3. You should aim to get to a place where you can mix just by using the EQ. Your heroes achieve their smooth mixes by bringing elements in and out of focus on the soundstage with EQ. IMO EQ is where the magic happens .

Key doesn't even matter. Just disregard organising by key. You can mark the key if you feel it is some useful info (I don't think it is), but just organise is by Genre/Artist, not sure why people try be like "omg i need to organise my tracks together that should mix together".

At the end of the day DJing is creative, it can be a key that "doesn't go", it can be 10 bpm difference, it can be a totally different genre, enough creativity and you can find a way to mix a lot of tracks together that maybe shouldn't work, but do.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by Adzm00 View Post
    Key doesn't even matter. Just disregard organising by key. You can mark the key if you feel it is some useful info (I don't think it is), but just organise is by Genre/Artist, not sure why people try be like "omg i need to organise my tracks together that should mix together".

At the end of the day DJing is creative, it can be a key that "doesn't go", it can be 10 bpm difference, it can be a totally different genre, enough creativity and you can find a way to mix a lot of tracks together that maybe shouldn't work, but do.
    The problem is that a lot of DJs are ironically not very 'musical'. And so dont understand the concepts of dissonance, and tension and release that can be used to create dramatic tension. They are also happy to hand over the most important aspect of music, the timing, over to a computer completely.

Its why its so great when you see a DJ who not only understands this, but manipulates it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJNo View Post
    The problem is that a lot of DJs are ironically not very 'musical'. And so dont understand the concepts of dissonance, and tension and release that can be used to create dramatic tension. They are also happy to hand over the most important aspect of music, the timing, over to a computer completely.

Its why its so great when you see a DJ who not only understands this, but manipulates it.
    Yeah well said man.

Yeah, I do agree.

That said, we can encourage that way of thought on here. Not everyone is a Zac Efron all you need is one track douchebag, or at least we can perhaps persuade people not to become that
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

its not that I'm trying to run before i can walk, I'm just exploring different avenues, I've been mixing around 6 years but i put it down to being uber fussy with track selection that i take my time in making a mix...im the only one in my group of friends who dj's or who is even remotely interested in music so this is where the forum feedback is handy for all my unanswered questions.

not that I'm plugging but this was the latest mix i did for an Austrians guys radio show R.P.W.C.S

https://soundcloud.com/rich-people-c...7-morgan-tracy

I only mixed the first song using the camelot wheel, the rest was by what i thought worked.
    Feedback as always, is welcome. Cheers.
    Making techno mixes, hoping they fall into the right ears.
    Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/morgan-tracy-6

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Tracy View Post
    camelot wheel
    For some reason, I'm always expecting some kind of medieval music when someone mentions this

I've just invented another new genre. Medieval Techno. I expect to hear some in your next mix, Mr. Tracy. Lots of filtered lute lead lines.

Ah hang on. Camelot. Medieval. Fifths. Aaaaaand the penny drops for Puregroove. Late, as usual.

Bangin' - I'm sampling this. This'd go down well in Berlin underground clubs.

Haha, Aphex Twin - Didgeridoo is the closest i can do.
    Making techno mixes, hoping they fall into the right ears.
    Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/morgan-tracy-6

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Tracy View Post
    its not that I'm trying to run before i can walk, I'm just exploring different avenues, I've been mixing around 6 years but i put it down to being uber fussy with track selection that i take my time in making a mix...im the only one in my group of friends who dj's or who is even remotely interested in music so this is where the forum feedback is handy for all my unanswered questions.

not that I'm plugging but this was the latest mix i did for an Austrians guys radio show R.P.W.C.S

https://soundcloud.com/rich-people-c...7-morgan-tracy

I only mixed the first song using the camelot wheel, the rest was by what i thought worked.
    Feedback as always, is welcome. Cheers.
    Mate, this is great. Loved the selection and the mixing seems on point, but i only had about 10 minutes to listen.