View Poll Results: Would you still be a DJ if vinyl/turntables were the only way?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!

131 94.24%
  • Hell no!

8 5.76%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: If DJing with vinyl and turntables was the only way to DJ today.......

yes i would, my back would hate me when hauling crates to gigs

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    ...sort of. Sure, at my house with all the lights on but lets be honest that the lil' pop-up light doesn't work miracles in a dark club when you're in the mix and you are mixing out at the drop.
    Any time I play out I bring a clamp lamp among other things. Conversely, here is my home setup with all the lights in the room on and no flash.
    Granted it is a bit brighter in person, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Do you think its about the same or do you think the CDJ makes it far easier?
    As far as cd players go, I would say they are somewhat easier to use in some respects, but I would not say far easier. Heck, the ones I own do not have waveform displays or key lock, and they only have .1% pitch resolution. I also keep the bpm and pitch % display off. IMO that stuff is really just a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    BPM and pitch resolution are about as important to a set as whether or not I'm wearing women's underwear right now.
    The next time I mix, I will be thinking of Mostapha's frilly, little underthings. Thanks.
    Everybody is going to have an opinion.
    Just do your thing to the best of your ability and have fun with it.

[SIGPIC]http://www.ustream.tv/channel/faderwave-radio[/SIGPIC]

Yeah buddy, and i still buy vinyl today
    Progress, Evolve, while entertaining people is the reason why i'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hausgeist View Post
    Any time I play out I bring a clamp lamp among other things. Conversely, here is my home setup with all the lights in the room on and no flash.
    Granted it is a bit brighter in person, but you get the idea.
    Sure... as would any boy scout DJ. Be prepared!

As far as cd players go, I would say they are somewhat easier to use in some respects, but I would not say far easier. Heck, the ones I own do not have waveform displays or key lock, and they only have .1% pitch resolution. I also keep the bpm and pitch % display off. IMO that stuff is really just a distraction.
    Fair point... it does depend on your equipment. My CDJs have it all... and are far easier to mix on than wax (IMO).
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

In all honesty, I wouldn't. Would I want to? Certainly. Could I afford to? Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by robscomputer View Post
    I'm on the fence, I learned on vinyl but honestly digital is what brought me back into the hobby.

What I really miss is digging in the crates and record shopping. Spinning vinyl just feels fun, it's so analog and dated technology but amazing how long it was before DVS took over. Also what I really enjoy is having a rare record or something out of print, something that another dj won't play right after you.

Times change, just like how music used to be recorded on reel to reel, it's now all digital. Different skills for different formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by djdran View Post
    Having all my music on a laptop is just soo easy.. i do mobile gigs, and my back kills already with just setting up the sound system/lights .. if i had to carry crates of vinyl too, my back would die... HAHAHAHAHA

now if i was at home and i didn't have to lug around those crates, then yes i would still DJ with vinyl.
    What they said! I stopped because record stores stop really selling good vinyl then closed and I refused to ever use a cdj and never have. Love my vinyl but l welcome digital/timecode.

Anolog has a richer tone than purely digital. There's factors that effect vinyl like natural feed back, and stylus/cartridge imperfections and natural tonal changes when the pitch changes, that gives it a richer thicker tone than its digital counterpart.
    Check out my Official Website at www.priyonjoni.com
    Voted 2014 Best DJ in Des Moines, Iowa in CityView Magazine's Best of Des Moines

i think a good question on this topic is would you be a better dj?

personally i don't think i would be as good, not that i am good. digital djing has given me access to so much music that i wouldn't have had access to especially now that i live in china.

Cali but i rather be back home in The South
    Yeh I would

hell yea. I bought Serato 6 months ago and I love it but nothing sounds better than Vinyl. Everybody knows vinyl sounds better. More natural sound than digital. I wouldnt mind carrying crates. I see it as exercise so at the same time Im gettin swole!

As for the laptop being in your face, I always place my laptop to the left or right of me. Sometimes behind me. I just look at my laptop to load a track. I dont need to look at waveforms. I have ears.
    Pls "Like" My Facebook Bandpage. Will return the favor! Lets unite!

-----------> www.facebook.com/rayswift707 <-------------