View Poll Results: Would you still be a DJ if vinyl/turntables were the only way?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!

131 94.24%
  • Hell no!

8 5.76%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: If DJing with vinyl and turntables was the only way to DJ today.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    Its a nice post and you obviously know your shit, but when I play my vinyl next to my friend's MP3 files at 320kbps, there's better clarity on every level from the plastic. Even when my digital using friends are employing WAV, there's more low end kick and more mid/treble clarity from the vinyl, and its not just my ears.

As for systems, I think you can tell the difference in most cases; I was in my local club some months ago and the resident was playing using Serato, Omar-S came on afterwards using vinyl, again the low end rang out loud and clear in comparison, and that was on a Function 1. Fair enough, on shit systems it probably doesn't matter.

As for Theo Parrish, a shit DJ? Get to fuck.
    These are my thoughts as well - plus a warmth you just do not get with digital.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackest View Post
    As far as reading grooves to see when the break down is coming VS reading the wave either on your comp screen or CDJ, all of that doesn't matter if you know your tunes.
    I get what you are saying. But the great thing about Traktor is that it lets me keep playing vinyl (not going to get into the discussion of sound quality) while having access to way more tunes. Not just the amount that I could bring to a gig, but general access to. Now, I can keep my sound fresh, for myself and the listeners, by constantly bringing in new tracks without having to listen to them inside out a bunch of times to really "know" them. Reading grooves on a record and keeping counts in your head work, but not nearly as well. And it is way harder to line up double drops, and other nifty tricks, when only reading records and keeping beat counts - not to mention the loss of loop function which, imo, is critical.

When I think about how often I listened to my tracks back when I only had vinyl it makes me sick. No way could I do that now. I am conditioned to having an almost limitless supply of fresh new music. Tracks are so cheap and easily available via Juno, or whatever your preferred retailer is, that I could never go back to having to listen to the same tracks over and over and over to get to know them inside out and paying an arm and a leg. That would get so boring for me, and also get boring for people that come to the club or tune into radio shows to hear the same tracks over and over again.

I guess my point is that now tracks are disposable - whereas before they weren't. You really had to keep the good tracks in your collection available at all times, almost regardless of their age. It's why now I rarely hear other DJs play tracks that I have...it happens, but not much. Whereas before when we were all buying the same records from the same places, it happened a lot. There's just a ton more music available.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Vinyl sounds like crap.
    At the very least, most DJs cause a DC offset without having a clue why (rep to the person who tells me which setting being wrong causes this).
    Im gonna say Anti skate with a S shaped tonearm?

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackest View Post
    As far as reading grooves to see when the break down is coming VS reading the wave either on your comp screen or CDJ, all of that doesn't matter if you know your tunes.
    I know that. Learning on the waveform with a big and obvious countdown timer (unlike a TT) has the potential of making someone lazy with regard to knowing their tunes inside and out.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Because they don't understand digital audio and screw it up.
    Not every audiophile uses vinyl, or tubes for that manner. And, you don't necessarily have to spend $5K on a cable.

My buddy has a shitload of CDs, SACDs, digital streaming devices, and hasn't had a turntable in decades. He generally makes his own cables using quality cable and connectors. He listens to CDs in stereo and SACDs in surround. He's a firm believer in good transport plus DAC is cheaper and better that higher end CD player.

A friend of his has a tube integrated and only listens to CDs in stereo.

The guy who I bought a headpnone amp from has both CD and vinyl (don't remember the system).

Another guy has mostly listens to vinyl (don't remember the system). His system proves that analog done right will sound better that digital.

I'm more like listen to vinyl, and my systems are more a mid-fi level (Marantz Reference, Parasound Halo, etc...).
    Last edited by mix4fix; 04-06-2012 at 12:14 PM.

I would love this. I went CDs because I saw that as the path to least resistance, and it was the best choice. But if vinyl was the only game I'd be stoked. DJs would, IMO have more distinct styles because they'd be limited by what few records they'd bring. It'd be fun to play on, something about laying down that big 12" disco for just one track. Their would be less competition by people who will only gig 6 times for a total of 60 dollars and 9 drinks. We wouldn't have fakers doing the Peter Hook/Steve Angelo.

I would miss the crossover concert style of pseudo DJing, but if we could somehow leave that in without that becoming where the digital DJs would go, that would be kind of Uptopian.

But yeah I'd be stoked and probably more into DJing than I am now. JUST DON'T TAKE AWAY MODERN LAPTOP PRODUCING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    the problem is, once something goes up in price, it rarely comes back down.
    Naw, it'd go back down. There would be a greater market for it, and music is in a highly competitive market so the market would price the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomisk View Post
    The other thing to consider Is how often I'd be DJing. Right now Saturdays are usually 2-3 gigs - some combination of daylong, pregame, party and after party. This is great because I run around town with just USBs and headphones, but if I had to lug crates of vinyl around, let's be honest, I'd be much less efficient and it wouldn't be worth the money. I was playing with a vinyl dubstep/DnB DJ this weekend (who was insane - Brandon eaton, big ups bro) and as great as he was, transporting all his stuff was a HUGE hassle.
    But on the other note, there'd be so many fewer DJs that you'd be the best game in town and could command DJ prices like we used to see. You'd focus on one party and everyone would be there.
    Last edited by Hygro; 04-06-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Are you being facetious? Why would audiophiles prefer it?

What is a better medium for analog reproduction?
    No, I'm not. Apples to apples, vinyl sounds like shit. Audiophiles prefer it because of a combination of hokum and glorifying a golden age of analog that never existed.

What's better? Honestly, I don't think there is what I'd call a good purely analog medium for reproduction and playback. Vinyl probably is the best, though magnetic wire has its charm. Or, it would if the technology wasn't abandoned in the '30s.

Quote Originally Posted by Friction View Post
    I enjoy the sound of vinyl. Not because I think it sounds better but because I think it sounds more like something I like. I'm feeling sad my tts aren't plugged in now.
    That, on the other hand, is completely valid.

Its a nice post and you obviously know your shit, but when I play my vinyl next to my friend's MP3 files at 320kbps, there's better clarity on every level from the plastic. Even when my digital using friends are employing WAV, there's more low end kick and more mid/treble clarity from the vinyl, and its not just my ears.
    You're not doing double blind testing, and I doubt you've taken the time to make sure they're playing at exactly the same level (not the same settings…same power to the speaker cones). Spend enough time glorifying AAC over MP3 and you'll get the same results. Or basically anything else.

As for systems, I think you can tell the difference in most cases; I was in my local club some months ago and the resident was playing using Serato, Omar-S came on afterwards using vinyl, again the low end rang out loud and clear in comparison, and that was on a Function 1. Fair enough, on shit systems it probably doesn't matter.
    There are a lot of other things going into that…who could run a mixer better, whether or not the SSL guy was using key lock, whether his gains were set properly, how they were EQ'd, and most importantly…how loud they were running the sound system. It makes sense to give a small volume boost to the headliner (or to each new DJ) both because of the crowd's ear fatigue and because people tend to think louder things sound better.

As for Theo Parrish, a shit DJ? Get to fuck.
    I didn't say that. I was responding to a claim that you had to be technically proficient at spinning vinyl to get booked again. Theo Parish is obviously passionate and does what he does, but he either doesn't or can't beat match in any recording I've heard. The fact that you think he's a good DJ proves my point.

Quote Originally Posted by shepe View Post
    Im gonna say Anti skate with a S shaped tonearm?
    Bingo. Rep given. Know why?

to do with the unequal pressure applied to the tonearm/cartridge then making one channel louder than the other ;-)

Not involved in the dialog through the pages of this thread but I voted Hell yes. Started on only vinyl and will continue to play on vinyl and serato

@shepe. ish. Mid signal runs orthogonal to the groove.

Coincidentally, that's why weight can screw up stereo: the side signal is read as vertical motion of the needle.

@hygro: I'd probably never abandon the computer entirely, but I would LOVE to kick my computer out of my production studio: a nice sequencer, a sampler, some synths, something like a gs-r24m, some outboard gear and a stereo digital recorder. Sounds like a lot of fun. All the music, none of the bullshit.

If I manage to move towards hardware a bit, zoom makes some cheap 16 and 24-track recorders that apparently sound great for the price.
    Last edited by mostapha; 04-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.