Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening for Ludacris, what to expect?

Opening for Ludacris, what to expect?

I'm Opening for ludacris on the 27th, I'm expected to play my style and originals, not a club DJ set. Its at this annual year-end festival at my school. Im very confused as to how to approach this show. Has anyone ever done anything like this? What should I expect? I'm very experienced with clubs and whatnot but I kinda feel like a fish out of water with this show...

you're mostly a house dj, right? i'm a little confused on the 'play your style' but not do a club set. play one track after the other and not mix them?

What im talking about is song selection. I'm caught between playing my originals and playing to the crowd. Ludacris is a rapper so obviously the crowd will be feeling hip hop. The other opener is a rock band. Im going to be mixing my stuff, what I mean by "club set" is that I'm not going to be working up to a headlining DJ... I'm opening for ludacris and I earned this spot by playing originals at this silly battle of the bands thing; so i feel like im expected to play my style mixed with a hip hop influenced vibe. I'm just stuck on what to prepare for my set and I'm looking for advice from anyone who's been in an awkward situation like this.

when i've opened for rappers i played funk, soul, rap, etc.

but i really have no idea what you should do tho. sounds like a pretty odd combo of genres for the night. i guess if they hired you to do your thing, do it.
    PROFESSIONAL UNEMPLOYED DJ
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATREON

Top 40 Electro Remixes should get the crowd where they need to go. My go-to for when people wanna hear crap they know the words to and I want to actually f*cking mix.

If you've made some noise on campus with your originals, then yeah for sure get your originals as the core of the set. can't say i've opened for a big name like luda, just local hip hop acts around here.

lets say it's an hour set for convenience sake:

maybe start off with your stuff, with whatever you feel compliments your work well. mix in some hip hop once or twice in the first 40-45, then just start throwing down some hip hop jams from around 09-11. for the end of your set, think of stuff that would get the crowd almost as excited as actually hearing "move bitch" by luda live. gucci mane, older lil wayne, snoop dogg could work. just hip hop tracks you liked that had commercial success from your later high school years (if you liked any that is)

big sean and j cole are some new names that your average partying college kid likes. they work where i go to school anyway.

i think just trying to include a few different genres would work well. thats where i have the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryder View Post
    Top 40 Electro Remixes should get the crowd where they need to go. My go-to for when people wanna hear crap they know the words to and I want to actually f*cking mix.
    I have 2 problems with this: 1) I don't want to overshadow the headliner by playing all the radio top 10 crap. 2) I earned this spot through my style, I don't want to tarnish it with a bunch of over compressed top 40 electro made by bad producers.

Nick, it is a really weird setup. 3 totally different style acts. I don't know who's playing first, but I'm thinking I'll just play my originals mixed with a rap (but not top 40) feel. Maybe some breaks, even.

EDIT: Ocie, thanks for the input. That's what I'm thinking about now, going from my style to more commercial stuff over the course of my set. And big Sean and J cole arent new I've been using them in my frat playlists for at least 8 months now. W/e. I'll sleep on it, I still have a few weeks.

Ugh, this is the weirdest show I've ever played.
    Last edited by Atomisk; 04-03-2012 at 01:21 AM.

They should have you close the night. That's bad programming to have a house DJ play high energy Swedish house mashups before a rap act, unless they keep most of the sound system off until he goes on. In which case play your energetic music to get the crowd psyched. He'll carry his own weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomisk View Post
    I have 2 problems with this: 1) I don't want to overshadow the headliner by playing all the radio top 10 crap. 2) I earned this spot through my style, I don't want to tarnish it with a bunch of over compressed top 40 electro made by bad producers.
    Electro funk maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryder View Post
    Electro funk maybe?
    Never heard of it, link?