View Poll Results: Would you still be a DJ if vinyl/turntables were the only way?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!

131 94.24%
  • Hell no!

8 5.76%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: If DJing with vinyl and turntables was the only way to DJ today.......

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Vinyl sounds like crap.
    Thats just dumb.
    Last edited by RaySwift; 04-05-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Pls "Like" My Facebook Bandpage. Will return the favor! Lets unite!

-----------> www.facebook.com/rayswift707 <-------------

Quote Originally Posted by RaySwift View Post
    Thats just dumb.
    mmmmkay!
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Why would audiophiles prefer it?
    Most "audiophiles" are just idiots who like to spend money on $5000 RCA cables and similar stupid shit. It's kind of like the music version of those nitwits who try to modify a Honda Civic to put out 300+HP instead of just buying a car with an engine that can make 300+HP.

Here is yet another recap of the ever-popular coat hanger vs. Monster Cable experiment. When I went through audio engineering school ten years ago, that story was kicking around, so it's not new.

Basically, "audiophile" equipment/advice is just overpriced, under-informed bullshit the majority of the time.
    Last edited by djpenguin; 04-05-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: grammar
    Click here for mixes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Coat View Post
    I once DJ'd to a room of 500 Shoreditch hipsters using only my rigid cock and a empty jar of Marmite

Then again, that fad would be easy to kill. Say vinyl is cool, start releasing top40 hip hop on vinyl again, and plant some stories about how reel to reel tape machines sound better but aren't worth using because they're too much of a PITA. Problem solved.
    fucking lol. id rep your whole post if my rep counted for something

Quote Originally Posted by djpenguin View Post
    Most "audiophiles" are just idiots who like to spend money on $5000 RCA cables and similar stupid shit. It's kind of like the music version of those nitwits who try to modify a Honda Civic to put out 300+HP instead of just buying a car with an engine that can make 300+HP.

Here is yet another recap of the ever-popular coat hanger vs. Monster Cable experiment. When I went through audio engineering school ten years ago, that story was kicking around, so it's not new.

Basically, "audiophile" equipment/advice is just overpriced, under-informed bullshit the majority of the time.
    Say what you will, but when I drop a capsule there is something warm and fuzzy about wax and something ver cold (yet clean) about CD/digital. That's just me though... what you prefer is up to you.

EDIT - I know Monster shit is hype and marketing... but that, IMO, has little bearing on why audiophiles prefer vinyl. They may spend their money on overpriced shit - but the monster cables, tube amps and all that stuff works with digital media (i.e. CD player), no? So, why the TT and vinyl?
    Last edited by Finnish_Fox; 04-06-2012 at 02:38 AM.

I enjoy the sound of vinyl. Not because I think it sounds better but because I think it sounds more like something I like. I'm feeling sad my tts aren't plugged in now.

there's something about putting the needle on the record that excites me more than pressing a button or clicking a link. I suppose it harks back to getting records from the shop years ago, and rushing home to take them out their sleeves and listen.

Another question would be to us vinyl DJ's; if real vinyl disappeared entirely, would you continue to DJ with computers? I wouldn't, as I'm a collector first, and a DJ because of my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    Another question would be to us vinyl DJ's; if real vinyl disappeared entirely, would you continue to DJ with computers? I wouldn't, as I'm a collector first, and a DJ because of my collection.
    I'd most likely turn into a hermit and just listen to my wax all the time.

With that said, most new house music (which I do, in fact like) simply isn't making its way to wax so I've already crossed over with CDJs.

Vinyl sounds like crap.
    Its a nice post and you obviously know your shit, but when I play my vinyl next to my friend's MP3 files at 320kbps, there's better clarity on every level from the plastic. Even when my digital using friends are employing WAV, there's more low end kick and more mid/treble clarity from the vinyl, and its not just my ears.

As for systems, I think you can tell the difference in most cases; I was in my local club some months ago and the resident was playing using Serato, Omar-S came on afterwards using vinyl, again the low end rang out loud and clear in comparison, and that was on a Function 1. Fair enough, on shit systems it probably doesn't matter.

As for Theo Parrish, a shit DJ? Get to fuck.
    Once you're in the gutter, you may as well stay in the gutter - Dublin taxi driver

Soundcloud sounds

I voted yes.

As crazy as it sounds, back when I only used vinyl, I practiced more and I knew my tunes better.

As far as reading grooves to see when the break down is coming VS reading the wave either on your comp screen or CDJ, all of that doesn't matter if you know your tunes.