Thread: Looking to get back into the DJ scene in Toronto any tips?

Looking to get back into the DJ scene in Toronto any tips?

About a little over a year ago I basically went from spinning 2-3 times a week for gigs at University and a residency to hardly spinning because I graduated and had to focus on getting established in my full-time job. Fast forward to today and I'm settled in enough and I've been itching to get back out there. The only issue I have is that all my promoter contacts are not from Toronto (went to school in the Kitchener-Waterloo area). In university I hustled my ass off to get in with the party crowd and network and eventually became one of the key DJs for a set of promoters but I don't really know where to go or what to do now that I'm in Toronto post-graduation.

Any tips guidance or help would be really appreciated.

For more information about myself I have about 7 years worth of DJ experience at Nightclubs, corporate events and weddings (although mostly nightclubs). I mostly use CDJs but also have Technics and midi controllers so I'm well-versed in all types of setups and flexible. I spin everything from Top 40, Hip-Hop, to EDM, including dubstep, house and progressive, as well as Latin. This is mainly because I've always had to play the crowd and typically play for an eclectic mix of people.

thanks!

Do exactly what you did when you first started! Also, try reconnecting with the people you worked with in the past and see what they are up to/if they know anyone that might be interested in booking you. Lastly, build up your content (mixes, videos, productions, etc.).

One thing that's awesome about downtown Toronto are all of the trendy boutique stores and gyms. Many of them have DJ's or are looking for DJ's to come spin on weekends or peak hours. I'd poke around that area and do some free gigs. It'll be a great way to meet new people and build up your network in the city.

If you figure it out, let me know! Haha
    www.soundcloud.com/icewind

www.mixcloud.com/icewind