Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most bright for little buck - uplighting

There are a lot of Blizzard dealers but very few of them have been in business over 39 years.

Play nice guys! Lol. Bill and Nick, I have followed your posts since DJF 1.0 and have used advice from both of you on alot of different things, even though I have been doing events for 15 yrs myself... The backwoods here doesn't always have the latest and greatest so I can usually get a little bit ahead of my competition by following what you are both up to.

Much respect here Bill.
    Brett Messer
    Messer Entertainment Group, LLC
    Twitter: @MEGA_Events | Facebook

Much respect , but not a single one of these "DEALERS" offered a single light within the OP's budget. Question wasn't what is the best light for uplighting but the best light for around $100. Vendors just always seem fixated on making a sale rather than helping someone attain something that they really asked for in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SummitAudioDJ View Post
    Much respect , but not a single one of these "DEALERS" offered a single light within the OP's budget. Question wasn't what is the best light for uplighting but the best light for around $100. Vendors just always seem fixated on making a sale rather than helping someone attain something that they really asked for in the first place.
    I really don't think Bill or Nick were intending to "push" their sales. They've both been major contributors here despite being vendors. I do think they will both try to convince you to spend a little more sometimes to get a better product... because they both work with the lights, not just selling them.

That said... the only product you are stuck with in the $100 range is RGB 144x10 fixtures. If you use Chinese knockoffs you can get RGBA's for that price. LED's are LED's for the most part. You will get similar performance from fixtures with the same number/color/output of LED's.

Summit, I think that's a bit unfair...

I listed all the lights discussed in the thread and ranked them where I believe they fell in terms of capabilities. I try to answer questions as honestly as I can, and I was a contributing member for years on DJF1 before I even became a vendor... and I know Bill takes the time to answer people's questions on this forum daily to help people make informed decisions.

If anything- as Sween said, we both work with these products in our own shows. It may seem like I'm pushing something more expensive, and I am, but not because its going to make me more money if I sell it (I survived just fine only producing shows), but because I know what look the OP is trying to acheive and I'm telling everyone what I'm using to get that look. (some of the lights I ranked were in the OPs budget)

This industry, like every one, has products at different price points with different capabilities.
    It pretty much comes down to this: Bright. Rugged. Cheap. You only get to pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by SummitAudioDJ View Post
    I really want to just quote Nicks post in response, but I'll play..

First and foremost, I absolutely can offer him a puck within his price range, but its not going to be the best value in my opinion. I used Blizzard as a consumer before I became a dealer, and I became a dealer because I believe in their product line and customer service. I mentioned the q6 because I personally went through the same progression of thinking more $100 lights was better than half as many $200 lights. It's also a great fixture at a great price. If you notice, I only mentioned I was dealer to convey my confidence in the brand; not to offer him anything for sale.

And just the same as Nick, the majority of my revenue comes from event production, not sales.
    Brett Messer
    Messer Entertainment Group, LLC
    Twitter: @MEGA_Events | Facebook

I always enjoy the discussions here.

I think the question might be approached from another perspective- "What light can I afford that will satisfy the most number of clients, thereby increasing my profits accordingly?"

Let's consider the demand from the end user. I find that by far the two most requested colors are amber and purple. This makes getting both a bright and a RGBA unit almost a necessity. It takes a lot of punch to make purple. And it takes an amber diode to make amber/gold/orange, though I know some would argue.

Anyway, I think determining what will sell best/satisfy clients should be a factor when making this decision.

If you invest in some RGB units but have to turn away work cause amber was the requested color, you might have been better off spending a bit more to get RGBAs.

wedding reception lighting

Thanks for all the help guys. From what I'm hearing is that the biggest return will obviously be with any light that has RGBA, since the color options are much larger. Also, most of the newer lights that offer RGBA with the tri/quad light diodes are brighter than the 10mm lights. And I know that spending a little more early on will pay off in the long run. When I first posted, I didnt even consider the amber lights because its not something I knew much about. Our clients have never asked nor complained about the colors that we use. But with the Amber, it would give us one more thing to 'sell' to the customer.