Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: What are your thoughts about the ADJ Commscan LED

  1. #1
    Member noize_unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    249

    What are your thoughts about the ADJ Commscan LED

    Hey all,

    Before the bashing begins as im sure it would since this a cheaper scanners, but im trying to get some lights for my house, wanting to go moving heads but not looking to spend that much dough on lights when there just for my place and will not be rented out or used for mobile gigs (as i don't do that) so im looking for a cheap alternative that still has a somewhat good build quality bright and clear light (LED and doesn't have to be insanely bright as its going in a 20x20 room) so i thought that ADJ commscan 2 pack with dmx cable and controller remote for 399 would be a great deal, please prevent me from making a bad purchase if this is would be one, if not give me your praises and i can start building my own little nightclub for my sanctuary

    Thanks in Advance

  2. #2
    Member Synaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    1,322
    I'd love to know too. I just love the Gobos on the ComScans, and I'd love to buy the pack, but for the money, I would rather have a single moving head.
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

    "Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

  3. #3
    Member noize_unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    I'd love to know too. I just love the Gobos on the ComScans, and I'd love to buy the pack, but for the money, I would rather have a single moving head.
    exactly just the whole package (all the features, how bright and clear it seems, and the price, almost seems too good to be true)

    anyone that owns or have used these please add your input

    and just out of curiosity synaxis, why would you rather have one moving head over these? and would your answer be the same if you were in my situation?

  4. #4
    Member Synaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by noize_unit View Post
    exactly just the whole package (all the features, how bright and clear it seems, and the price, almost seems too good to be true)

    anyone that owns or have used these please add your input

    and just out of curiosity synaxis, why would you rather have one moving head over these? and would your answer be the same if you were in my situation?
    Well, I'm looking to expand my light show, and the ComScans really interest me. I like their small size, gobos, price, and they seem pretty bright according to DJStevieRay:



    However, I'd also love to have additional features, such as a separate color wheel, rotating gobos, ect,.. which unfortunately the ComScans lack because they are more of an basic type of fixture.

    I sort of worded my statement wrongly. What I meant to say was, I'm not sure if I want to waste $500 on the ComScan system, when I can use that money, save it up to around $1000, and buy two better moving heads. Does that make more sense?

    It's like, either I buy something cheap now, and use it for a while without upgrading at all, or I save up some money and buy something a bit more professional that I will be happier with, and won't need to upgrade for a while.


    For your situation though, in a 20x20 room, I think these would be perfect. But hopefully, someone else who has used them can chime in as well.
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

    "Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    56
    I got to play with a friend's Comscans at a medium-sized event and they weren't bad. For a smaller room they should be fine as long as you can keep it pretty dark.

  6. #6
    Member noize_unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Whines View Post
    I got to play with a friend's Comscans at a medium-sized event and they weren't bad. For a smaller room they should be fine as long as you can keep it pretty dark.
    So, they aren't that bright?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    229
    I have the X-Scans LED Plus. I believe these are very similar to the Comscans with the difference being separate color and gobo wheels. I bought them for use in bars and small wedding receptions. For that purpose they are good lights. They aren't really smooth at slow scanning speeds but I wasn't expecting them to be for the price. They are fairly bright especially if you can control the ambient light and you use a hazer.

    Hope that helps some.

  8. #8
    I just added 2 New Martin SCX 500's to my setup for $600. So far they rock. The build quality is MUCH nicer than anything I have used from ADJ or Chauvet. Also, they are much brighter than I expected for 150w halogen fixtures.

    I too looked at the Comscans and got to try a pair with the UC3 at Best Buy. I am very happy I did not purchase them. The quality, brightness, and motor smoothness was noticeably worse than my Martin's.

  9. #9
    Member Synaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnotestine View Post
    I just added 2 New Martin SCX 500's to my setup for $600. So far they rock. The build quality is MUCH nicer than anything I have used from ADJ or Chauvet. Also, they are much brighter than I expected for 150w halogen fixtures.

    I too looked at the Comscans and got to try a pair with the UC3 at Best Buy. I am very happy I did not purchase them. The quality, brightness, and motor smoothness was noticeably worse than my Martin's.
    Well, that is true, and obviously Martin is going to be more High End than ADJ, but If I were to be buying scanners, I would prefer to buy LED scanners.
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

    "Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    Well, that is true, and obviously Martin is going to be more High End than ADJ, but If I were to be buying scanners, I would prefer to buy LED scanners.
    Initially I had the same thought until I actually got to compare the fixtures, then it was no contest. From what I have seen there is yet to be an affordable (a relative term) high quality/performance LED Scanner. I'm sure that is likely to change soon. Hopefully by that time they still won't be on my short list because I will be able to afford nice moving heads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a