Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vocals Clashing

The main problem is it's very hard to put into words the lil tricks, cheat mixes that people come up with for different songs. Some tricks are quite unique to the individual track.

I look at the wave view quite a lot and try to get the oncoming beat to hit the down beat, those lil pre swoshs help a lot (mainly for jumping BPM and avoiding the clash). Some songs I might skip in to fit an appropriate point. Other tracks I've reeditted in Cubase so I can mix them. If there's 4 beats or even 2 beat before the vocal starts (matched bpm) using that in a loop, chopping it in can work. Even if the vocal starts on the 4th, you can use your 4 beat loop but make sure you cut out the 4th beat, every loop round. Sometimes that lil prebit of vocal still sounds good if it's cut, other times not so.

for example Chris Brown Ayo. looping the first 4 beats and chopping in that intro, the start of the vocal is caught on the 4th. You get the first 3 beats of notes to play with.

The Chainsmokers remix of Tove lo Stay High, I only have the radio edit. I do a 1 beat loop on the I... match it to the playing track, chop it in. it's on the off beat and sounds quite good. The down beat is when she says High so the exit loop time is not where you'd expect to match the boom to the right point your mixing out of.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 08-13-2015 at 06:28 AM.

I feel some tracks just can't mix, Kinda looking for new approaches to get past this.

Mitchiemasha I understand what your saying. The mixes your describing are to specific songs I am just looking for broad ways to be able to manipulate at the moment there is a vocal clash. Honestly sometimes I play both vocals and eq each track playing though it is not always the best option.

I have learned it's very good to have instrumentals for this situation. Though sometimes an Instrumental track just ruins the vibe that is building.

Quote Originally Posted by EXM View Post
    moment there is a vocal clash.
    Hide, pretend you're drunk, hope no one noticed, put your hands in the air and be like "Yeah I fucked up, woooo!!!" do a 4 second fade, with a slight embarrassed look, sort of whistling expression as though oops wasn't me, walking away, whist everyone stairs at you with those WTF eyes. They are usually my tricks or methods of dealing with a vocal clash when it happens... It's too late man you fucked up!!!
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 08-13-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EXM View Post
    When in a Mix what are some ways to fade from track A to track B without getting vocals to clash?! I am finding it extremely hard to mix songs that have vocals to the very end of the track.

I avoid mixing vocals over each other because it will almost always clash somewhere. I prefer to make sure the vocals are only coming from one track and maybe the occasional phrase or vocal effect from the other track but never full on singing together. The voices on each track having different keys and meter means it's going to be painful to hear. Start doing transitions at various stages of a track and don't always do it when the track is ending. Most tracks have a structure that means there will usually be verses during the closing minutes but just before that you are likely to have a few minutes of instrumental you can use to start mixing or transitioning to a new track.

Do you own edits of the track! Add in the intro and outro (if none). It'l be fun and you'll know exactly where the track comes in cause you'll be working on it for so long replaying over and over again.
    Thats what i would do for my tracks without extended mixes out there

Thanks for the input kueymo I never have thought of looking for extended mixes

^^ a mix with all tracks as vocal tracks is too much anyway, imo...I do a ratio of vocal tracks and instrumentals to balance it out and have the vocals make sense with surrounding tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by kueymo View Post
    Do you own edits of the track! Add in the intro and outro (if none). It'l be fun and you'll know exactly where the track comes in cause you'll be working on it for so long replaying over and over again.
    Thats what i would do for my tracks without extended mixes out there
    exactly