Thread: Island Music VS Reggae Music...???

Island Music VS Reggae Music...???

What is the difference between Island Music and Reggae Music...???

Because...When I listen to both...they sound similar and pretty much the same.

But...when I think about the culture, people and geographical characteristics of both...they are actually PRETTY different.

Island Music:

1. Hawaiians, Samoans, Pacific Islander, Fijans, Guamanians, New Zealanders etc. (pretty much any island nation/people in the Pacific).

2. These people are descended from polynesians of which are indigenous to the islands I named.

Reggae Music:

1. Jamaica (island also...but...in the ATLANTIC...not PACIFIC). Carribean chain of islands and Carribean Sea to be exact.

2. Jamaicans as we know (black skinned) are "NOT" indigenous. I believe most were slaves from africa and the UK/US from the colonial slave trade. The "true" jamaicans or indigineous people who have lived there forever...look more like aboriginals and not the black skinned afro haired people we know as "jamaicans". i.e. Bob Marley type.

Help..??
    Last edited by DjBetta; 07-31-2015 at 02:09 AM.
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~

Hello, I know the term Island Music to describe Reggae, and also Cuban, ect.

I could be wrong but I always understood Island Music as music from the Carribean islands. That would include reggae, soca, calypso etc.