Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M - Audio GSR-10 Review

M - Audio GSR-10 Review

M-Audio GSR-10 250 Watt 10in. 2 Way Powered Speaker

Developed by the same engineering team behind M-Audio's industry-leading reference monitors, the M-Audio GSR10 two-way 250-watt active sound reinforcement speaker combines pro-quality sound with road-worthy performance. For smooth, balanced response, they employed a precision-engineered 24 dB/octave crossover to integrate the 1in. high-frequency Titanium compression driver and 10in. low-frequency driver with 2.5in. voice coil. Efficient Class-D amplifiers deliver unmatched clarity and ultra-high output while remaining cool—hour after hour, show after show. Unique tone presets make it easy to dial in great sound without being an engineer. It all comes together in a lightweight-yet-rugged compact enclosure, making the GSR10 perfect for any small to mid-size venue.

Features:
    •2-way, Class D bi-amped active speaker: 200-watt, 10in. (305 mm) low-frequency driver and 50-watt, 1in. (34 mm) high-frequency Titanium compression driver
    •Efficient, lightweight Neodymium magnet LF driver
    •OptImage waveguide technology: wide dispersion angle (90 degrees H x 60 degrees V), excellent off-axis response and smooth, detailed mid- /high-frequency reproduction
    •Phase-accurate, precision-engineered 24 dB/octave crossover
    •Durable, road-worthy cabinet design—only 25 lbs
    •3 handles with deep hand wells for easy transport
    •Unique internal port flares for tighter bass response
    •4 specially tuned EQ presets make it easy to dial in the right sound (Normal, Hi-Fi, DJ, Voice)
    •5 integrated M10 fly-points and 1.4in. (36 mm) pole mount for flexible positioning
    •Die-cast aluminum amplifier heat sink prevents overheating for extended operation
    Specifications:•System type: active 10in., two-way bass reflex design
    •Frequency range: 70 Hz–18 kHz (-3 dB points, “Normal” preset selected)
    •Coverage pattern: 90 degrees H x 60 degrees V nominal
    •Crossover frequency: .8 kHz
    •System power rating: 250 W continuous, 500 W peak
    •Maximum SPL: 121 dB
    •Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
    •LF driver: 200 W continuous at driver impedance
    •HF driver: 50 W continuous at driver impedance
    •LF driver size/type: 1 x 10in. (25.4 cm), Neodymium magnet with 2.5in. voice coil
    •HF driver size/type: 1 x 1in. (2.5 cm), Titanium diaphragm compression driver
    •High-pass filter: 75 Hz
    •Input: balanced XLR/1/4in. TRS combo jack with XLR loop through
    •Pole socket: 36 mm pole mount socket with stabilizing screw
    •Mounting: 5 x M10 suspension points (2 bottom, 2 top, 1 rear)
    •AC input: 120–240 V, 50/60 Hz
    •Dimensions: (H x W x D) 21.9in. x 13.7in. x 11.2in. (55.6 cm x 34.8 cm x 28.5 cm)
    •Net weight: 25 lbs (11.3 kg)

I jumped on a pair of these speakers at the super low price of $250 shipped from PSSL for a local venue to use for , backround and dinner music , and for small parties. Before taking them to the venue I hooked them up to my rack and put them through the paces indoors only ( it was raining outside). My first impressions upon handling and viewing the boxes were wow this is a nice looking well designed box and man this thing is light.

So for the first hour I broke them in with the typical music that will be played through them at the venue , easy listening dinner music like Celine Dion , Journey, etc... I kept the EQ set to NORMAL and the 75hz high pass filter off for this first hour of testing and was shocked at how much bass was coming out of these little 10's at low to mid volume with this style of music. My first listening impression was that these sound very much like my RCF 310A's at lower to mid levels with a slight decrease in the high and mid output. The largest difference was apparent in total output.

Next I tried a wired mic on them with the EQ set to VOICE which is supposed to have a 90hz cut built in. Although this setting would eliminate breath popping and low frequency rumble, I found they still sounded best in NORMAL or HIFI mode with the 75hz filter on. The voice mode made them sound hollow. Spoken voice sounds very true but not nearly as natural as from my RCF's but way better than a pair of Peavey PR10's I used to own.

Next up I turned the EQ back to NORMAL mode with the 75hz filter off and played some Top 40 music for an hour or so cranking them to limit then backing down. They did limit rather quickly playing full range like this but sound great even when they were flashing red. Engaging the filter sacraficed some low end but greatly increased useable output before limit. I then switched the EQ to DJ to see the difference and I really found this setting to have too much of a low and high boost for my liking. My rack is set flat for my 310A and 312A's that I will occasionally boost the lows on if needed for a particular venue. The processing in the M-Audios has the bass kicking more so than my 310A's but with far less total output and quick limiting.

I then proceeded to play a mix of 80's , 90's and popular Wedding dance songs for the next 6 hours at a few notches below limiting with the HPF off in NORMAL EQ mode and really enjoyed the sound from these bargain bins. Even when pushed they never broke up , hissed or got scratchy. No thermal shutdown to be seen in the 8 hours of constant play time. The amp heatsink did get warm but not overly hot.

After this short test I took them out to the venue and placed them in there respective new home, spaced about 15 feet apart from each other and played a mix of current top 40 and was again very pleased at the overall sound the produced in this larger area. Now would I pay full retail of $300 each for these speakers, hell no! I would save a few more buks and buy RCF a pair 310As. For this price though I would happily buy a pair for ceremony and small party or backround music use if I didn't already have my RCF's. I would imagine the 12" model would be even better of a bargain with more output and lower frequency response.

Controls on the back are very basic, combo 1/4 / xlr in and out, 75hz hpf , gain control, power switch , and the EQ control. No frills but simple to use.

I would highly recommend these to anybody looking for a cheap lightweight good sounding speaker to be played at low to moderate volumes for small parties , backyard BBQ's, Ceremonies, Dinner or Backround music, or small PA use.

GSR-12 Comparison

Well I couldn't resist buying a pair of these for myself at $300 shipped off of ebay. First thing I noticed is that the tens are very compact and light compared to the 12's. Not that these 12's are any larger than other 12's or heavy at all (these are really close to the same size as my 312a's maybe an inche shorter) but that the 10's were so compact.

I again tested these out going through all the EQ functions and crossover on / off and noticed a few obvious differences that I was expecting and one that I wasn't.

1 - Obviously way more low end than the GSR-10's. They could handle most music without a sub in a smaller room (1500 sq feet or less ) for maybe 50-75 people backed against a wall or corner.

2 - More output but not nearly as much as the specs would suggest. I would say about 25% louder is accurate.

3 - Less mids but nothing a little EQ tweak can't fix.

4 - To my surprise the highs were much louder and easily became harsh if not tamed down. I know the horn has a larger lense area but didn't expect this much of a change.

5 - They still seem to limit fast but appear to have more output left in them. I gues M- audio decided on better safe than sorry.

To my ears the GSR-10's were much smoother and had a flatter response than the GSR-12's but the hassle of a little EQ work is well worth the extra volume and extended bass response.

Overall another great speaker for the price. I will be using these for small outdoor gigs, small free or charity gigs and as back ups or side fill. Did I really need these, No but I'm really
    glad I bought them for the price.

If your intent is to play low to mid levels of non bass heavy tracks or just use these for ceremony or cocktail use I would go for the GSR-10's . They sound great and take up such little room. If you plan on playing any top 40 / hip hop or plan on using these for heavier use then definitely go for the GSR-12's. With a sub I think you could cover 100 people at wedding levels with the GSR-12's.
    Last edited by SummitAudioDJ; 04-12-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks for sharing this great review with us. It's always great to read about someone's hands on experience with a new powered speaker. There are many affordable powered speakers out there these days that sound really good for very little $$$. When you compare them to some more expensive brands like RCF or QSC or Yamaha however, you quickly notice the extra performance that is included in their price...

Al

I'm REALLY eager to hear a review of the GSR 18" sub for occasional use on jobs where I don't feel like lugging big subs. If they sound alright and actually have decent output, I'd love to own a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Poulin View Post
    Thanks for sharing this great review with us. It's always great to read about someone's hands on experience with a new powered speaker. There are many affordable powered speakers out there these days that sound really good for very little $$$. When you compare them to some more expensive brands like RCF or QSC or Yamaha however, you quickly notice the extra performance that is included in their price...

Al
    +1
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

I recently purchased a pair of M-Audio GSR-12 speakers, for $300 per pair at pssl.com

With taxes & shipping (I'm in CA, have to pay sales tax) -- the pair set me back $382.00

This is the price of ONE Eon 10 speaker (5 years ago, I paid over $800 for a pair of Eon 10 g2s)

My experience was similar to OP, except the bass response was much deeper than what the GSR-10 provides.

For the price, these are great back-up, ceremony, or background music speakers.

I wouldn't use them without a sub-woofer. When I tested the GSR-12's with a sub (JBL Eon 518s), the sound quality was excellent, like what I expected from the Eon 10's.

However, the overall volume level was much greater, due to the 300 watt amps in each box. (my eon 10s are only 180w)

I am thinking about buying another pair, but I have to sell the Eon's first!
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

My GSR-10 should be deliverd on Tuesday.. I will eventually order a pair of RCF 312A later and I already have a pair of Mackie SRM450V2, that is why I am getting the 10" as a backup for small stuffs and I do have a SUB to supplement. I hope I like it, but for $261 delivered to New York City, I wouldn't be losing too much if I dislike them.

Mufutau
    Last edited by mufutau55; 04-08-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Now if only they sold Speaker Covers for these M-Audio powered cab's.
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

Quote Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
    Now if only they sold Speaker Covers for these M-Audio powered cab's.
    Send an email on out to Connie with the speaker measurements (be as accurate as you can to ensure a tight fit) http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACKIE-SRM15...t_11047wt_1396

You can ask her to add extras such as handle covers or a velcro strap to run under the speaker thus holding the cover in place firmly or other features you may want. I sprayed mines with weather proofing spray that you would use on your raincoats or camping tents, etc.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

I will have to see if the tens will fit in my RCF 310a case next time I go to the venue. There is a considerable differnce in the SPL specs between the 10 and 12" versions 121 vs 127 but I really thing the 12" model is an exageration , probably more like 123-125, 50 extra LF watts and a 12" driver shouldn't produce a 6db gain. I played some tunes on the GSR10's this past thursday and was again blown away at the price to performance ration of these speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by SummitAudioDJ View Post
    There is a considerable differnce in the SPL specs between the 10 and 12" versions 121 vs 127 but I really thing the 12" model is an exageration , probably more like 123-125, 50 extra LF watts and a 12" driver shouldn't produce a 6db gain.
    Totally depends on the sensitivity of the two drivers in question really.