Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sampling...???

I'm still a little confused to this day about genres of, for example, kick drum - If I take a bunch of ''techno'' records, sure, more of them may have distorted or dark kicks, but lso a lot of them will have identical kicks to a lot of house, seems to me. By the same token, a lot of house has quite dark kicks, seems it's a mix and match to a certain degree.

Perhaps an alternative for, say, kick drums, and hats etc. is to subfolder them in terms of charater or colour, for example ''sharp'', ''bright'', ''slow attack'' or whatever. Perhaps bass as well - ''Organic'', ''Acid'', ''Round'', ''Dub''.

That's more kind of how I do it anyway. I can't get my head around the genre thing when it comes to individual elements.

Quote Originally Posted by DjBetta View Post
    Spent 2 days burning CD's that I had collected/bought over the years. Saved them as WAV in folders divided by genre.

Spent about half a day listening to a couple songs. Some of these songs/CD's...brought back soooo many MEMORIES. HAHA LOL.

I am a newbie at sampling...What am I supposed to be listening for when sampling songs...

1. An instrument pattern..?
    2. Certain kind of Kick Drum..?
    3. A bad ass synth pad...?
    4. Vocals..?
    5. A drum pattern...??
    6. An FX riser or FX sound...?

Or is it as simple as listening for anything that "catches" my 'curiosity' that says..."hey, I can probably use this sound/instrument"...or..."wow, this is a bad ass sound"...and..."Man, this is a great beat loop that I can chop up and make it unique"...kind of thang.

Thanks.
    Short answer - start off with anything that's on its own for a period of time. Any quick point where everything drops out apart from one element - you'll get a clean sample from that.

There's no real rules as to what to sample, as such. All the things on your list plus everything else you can find. Plus more stuff. If you're Aphex Twin, you'll make a hi-hat out of a dog barking by mangling it in the right way.

And as you said yourself. Anything that catches your ear and makes you think "hmmm that's sounds awesome. I might be able to use it"
    Big woof! Wanna fight about it?!

Hey thats not a bad idea I've distributed the samples but do you own the copyright? Id use that on my no. 1 hit pop record and get my ass whuped for sample piracy. Turns out I still owe you a percentage for mixing the drums! Unless I was aphex twin and I made all my own drum sounds and synthesizers. No offence could be these sound designers are totally on a level but you can't be too careful nowadays even the walls have ears. I dont know Whether people actually get sued but technically anyone who does anything to make a sample special requires a right to use the recording maybe you could argue you purchased the sound on cd or download the right to use the recording was transferred but if your dealing with samples for free it ain't clear cut matter. Yeah but does that mean the drummer owns the right to his own breakbeat? I think the copyright owner has bought the rights off the Drummer and sound engineer but im not sure. Alot of people would support the argument the drummer has to get paid. Which is probably true.
    you could see it like this if you like the more work you put into your sounds the better, instead of using a sound loop lets programme all the sounds from basic tones and engineering the sampled by changing the parameters myself.
    Last edited by setback; 09-19-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Listen for breaks in parts... Like if there's a drum solo without any other instruments or the opposite - a section where the drums drop out, but the tune keeps playing. You can then use these in a completely different context (e.g. using a drum break is where many musical genres kicked off... hip hop and drum and bass come to mind...). Solos; any track where a singer is singing on their own is gold.

Other than that; one off hits can sound awesome - e.g. a kick, but with a trumpet and bass in the kick sound... Cut it up along with other drum elements from the track, and recreate a brand new groove with those sounds...

I haven't sampled other's music in years, and always feared the old "it's not mine, so I could get in trouble"... That's just me though; and hey - I'm paranoid

Have fun
    https://www.facebook.com/jbam.music
    New 2 track Release "Long Walk home" out now on Baroque Records: https://pro.beatport.com/release/the-long-walk-home/1573549

I hate to point out the obvious but what you're talking about is an illegal operation no seriously I'd be surprised if they did. I've been under the apprehension thateverybody is using up-to-date Tones and synthesizers to avoid the possibility of a being sued for samples which is possibly unlikely but could happen or b being accused of sample piracy which is basically you stole my vibe. As I said then geezas play the instruments they made the vibe and the recording is actually owned by the record company legally speaking you shouldn't be allowed any of them but then you could just end up with a sound from an old sample CD off someone else's house record I don't know. do people still sample?
    Last edited by setback; 10-17-2015 at 10:15 AM.