Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beatmatching, is it a must?

I didn't say that you have to beatmatch every transition. I said if you don't know how to beatmatch, you aren't a DJ. This includes mobile DJs. They don't get a pass because their setup packs into a van at the end of the night. Why shouldn't they have similar skills as guys that mix in clubs? Seems like everyone wants to be a DJ until it's time to actually do DJ stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mondope View Post
    Now, what is more important... being creative? or having a great selection of music?
    This is a logical fallacy. It's not one or the other, you can do both at the same time. If I was forced to pick only one though, music selection wins. At the end of the day, it's all about the music.
    That said, I've never personally heard anyone who didn't have mixing skills but picked great tracks. Usually if they're not willing to put in the time learning mixing, they're not going to be putting in time digging for great music.

Beatmaching Is It A Must?
    The Answer Is The Following Question
    Why Not ?

Short answer - no. Some software packages do a pretty good job of it and it will only get better over time.
    It is kinda like asking what is better: Standard or automatic transmission for cars? Everybody knows that automatics do the job just fine but most will say it is way more fun to drive standards (unless you are old like me)...
    Last edited by navydiver; 12-06-2015 at 05:39 PM.
    Strength in Depth!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by navydiver View Post
    Short answer - no. Some software packages do a pretty good job of it and it will only get better over time.
    It is kinda like asking what is better: Standard or automatic transmission for cars? Everybody knows that automatics do the job just fine but most will say it is way more fun to drive standards (unless you are old like me)...
    ....and it depends on what you're going to use it for. Automatics are good in a lot of applications/scenario's, but standards/manual transmissions have their place in applications/scenario's as well. Just like anything else, automatics & beatmatching has its place in its industry but isn't the best choice in every application/scenario. There are certainly situations where one is beneficial over the other but neither is better all the time in every situation.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

It's a bit like saying , is it a must to understand the gain controls on a mixer

Ok, software can auto detect the gains these days , but would you really trust someone who doesn't grasp the concept ?

Quote Originally Posted by mondope View Post
    what the hell is the audience thinking when the tempo drastically changes in less than a second?
    Nothing wrong with a temp change in less than a second, especially if the key matches, especially if the down beat matches. Everything wrong with fading tracks completely out of time over each other.

Edit: one could go on to say that a DJ set playing one temp that stays in temp from start to finish, is extremely boring!!! Very 90's, tastes are more diverse now. Learning to switch it up with out a train wrecks is a true show of DJ talent!!!
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 12-07-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    tastes are more diverse now.
    Are you sure about that? What kind of scene are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Puregroove View Post
    Are you sure about that? What kind of scene are you talking about?
    The one that exists in my lil bubble... Must just be me then!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    The one that exists in my lil bubble... Must just be me then!!!
    Well good for you, that's what I say.

I happen to think tastes seem to get more unimaginatve as time goes on in this game. If you like diverse stuff, then more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Puregroove View Post
    Well good for you, that's what I say.

I happen to think tastes seem to get more unimaginatve as time goes on in this game. If you like diverse stuff, then more power to you.
    Not at all, I meant that commercial is more varied than it used to be.