Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Beatmatching, is it a must?

Banned
    DJing with sync is like sitting a high-performance car and have it drive you around.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    It's a necessary skill to learn, but isn't required to use in performances.

Edit: The DJ determines what is necessary for the crowd to be entertained. There are times when beatmatching is and is not necessary. Just like scratching. Or playing country music.
    Exactly, but is a skill u much have to learn if u don't be in trouble in Live performance with sync.. But you can make without and still make a cool Set. In my opinion the most important part for a DJ is making the Tracklist, to choose witch track and when play it, after what, in fonction of public or set. So if u can make Transition without breaking the sound, in good beatmatch with sync.. Why not ? You can mix on party with no problem. ( exept sync pb ) But I understand that's frustating ( for me to ) when a DJ don't know how to synchronise song without this button and making transition like : drop, break another song ect..

New guy here and first post! I've been DJ'ing for roughly 20 years with a couple of hiatuses thrown in. I started on vinyl and back then I didn't have a sync button. Hell I remember teaching myself to beatmatch drum and bass on a pair of crappy direct drive Gemini turntables lol. For me, and I'm exclusively a drum and bass DJ, beat matching is a must. I just don't see any other way to do it. As far as pressing the SYNC button and going on with life, I'm not really into that. I still use my ears to beatmatch regardless.

My setup now is a Pioneer DDJ-RB controller with Rekordbox. I do have the ability to SYNC everything if I had the patience to make all the beatgrids right. However, I don't really mess with the beatgrids and the BPM counter gives me all the info I need really. So my vote is yeah it does matter for the music I mix... but its all subjective depending on your situation.

I think proper beatmatching separates a skilled dj from one who relies to heavily on sync. Beat matching brings a whole new layer of creativity to dj sets. If you simply rely on sync, your sets will sound more like a playlist of music rather than something you put a lot of creativity (your own spin) into.
    https://soundcloud.com/zsquared-doe/my-name-is-zsquared-official-edm-mix

It depends on the crowd you are playing for! if you're playing in a small club where people goes just to listen some niche music they will probably be more careful to what you're spinning and how properly you're doing it!

on the other hand if the crowd is in the place just to get drunk and make some noise...they probably won't feel those subtle details you were talking about!

Beatmixing has it's place, but as a mobile DJ, ( I don't do clubs) and one who provides my service for weddings only beatmixing is not required to do an awesome mix of great songs that everybody loves.

Song selection and choosing the perfect next song is all that's needed to accomplish a flawless and excellent event when servicing the wedding market. Grandma could care less about your beatmixing skills. Same goes for most all cross-generational events, guests just want to dance to a great next song.

But, you better not have any dead air between songs, they must segue at the very minimum. Plus a good voice over during the transition will create a non-stop dance party.

Quote Originally Posted by Mound Of Sound View Post
    Beatmixing has it's place,
    While beat mixing is very important to me... this is exactly the point i've supported through out this thread... Welcome!

i wouldnt say beatmatching is a must, but having a good intuition for music is important

there are two kinds of DJs who dont beatmatch, one of them has a good intuition for music, and made a choice not to beatmatch a particular song.
    the other is the kind that has absolutely no place behind the decks...we have all heard 'that' guy LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    i wouldnt say beatmatching is a must, but having a good intuition for music is important

there are two kinds of DJs who dont beatmatch, one of them has a good intuition for music, and made a choice not to beatmatch a particular song.
    the other is the kind that has absolutely no place behind the decks...we have all heard 'that' guy LOL
    Then there's that guy who knows how to beat match and has a bad intuition for music, purely basing songs on his ability to mix them. Often been it myself, lol. Equally as BAD!!!

Beat matching is definitely essential - without it the mix will just sound horrible.