Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beatmatching, is it a must?

Beatmatching, is it a must?

Just wanted to know how the rest of you felt about this. Since anyone can pick up a used controller and press sync, there have been a wave of DJs rising to glory on soundcloud without much work or creative juice. That being said, there are still a lot of DJs out there who are getting paid and getting a lot of shine for trainwrecking left and right. I hear it all the time when I go out, and I always just kind of laugh to myself, but I always wonder how many people caught it with the amount of OOOOs and Ahhs the crowd gives.

Prior to becoming a DJ, I can't say I had an ear to always detect the point where 2 songs were simultaneously playing. It wasn't until I became experienced with tons of practice that I began to notice all the subtle details behind mixing, but still I digress, what the hell is the audience thinking when the tempo drastically changes in less than a second?
    http://soundcloud.com/mondope

Yes...........................and no

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mondope View Post
    what the hell is the audience thinking when the tempo drastically changes in less than a second?
    That a new song is starting.

Long beat matched transitions make it harder for the audience to notice when a new song is starting. If there's no abrupt change in the music, people are more likely to continue dancing.

If there's a two or three second gap between the songs (Like when playing a CD album or a record album all the way through.). People will stop dancing, making some people more likely to leave the dance floor.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 07-13-2015 at 09:00 PM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Better knowing how to do it rather than not knowing. I laugh at those who end up stuck in front of 2 decks and no autosync button in sight.

It's a necessary skill to learn, but isn't required to use in performances.

Edit: The DJ determines what is necessary for the crowd to be entertained. There are times when beatmatching is and is not necessary. Just like scratching. Or playing country music.
    Last edited by KLH; 07-24-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Gaps are necessary to grab the mic and induce feedback, followed by ''Will the owner of the 1986 Ford Capri with the vinyl roof please move their car'', ''I'm here all week'', ''And here's a new number from the Hoff. It has a rather good beat'' and suchlike.

it's essential, no matter what length you do it for in a mix. even if you're hot mixing a rap set - you still gotta time your cuts and drops right otherwise it'll be a mess.
    PROFESSIONAL UNEMPLOYED DJ
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATREON

Quote Originally Posted by Puregroove View Post
    Gaps are necessary to grab the mic and induce feedback, followed by ''Will the owner of the 1986 Ford Capri with the vinyl roof please move their car'', ''I'm here all week'', ''And here's a new number from the Hoff. It has a rather good beat'' and suchlike.
    lols.
    PROFESSIONAL UNEMPLOYED DJ
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATREON

Depends on the music. David Mancuso didn't beatmatch did he?

I don't think anyone's going to thank you for doing a tech house set without mixing the beats - it would be two thirds drum intros and outros.

However, with certain music, perhaps people actually want to hear these. Nick Manasseh doesn't beatmatch. It is dance music theoretically. But he does bring a lot to the party, like Mancuso.

60's Garage rock DJ's don't beatmatch.

I think you mean ''EDM beatmatching - is it a must?'' in which case yes. The tracks are written to be beatmatched, otherwise what's the point of all those 32 bar drum intros that nearly every tune we own has on it.

What 'everyone' said.
    "May the beats be with you" ~ ChewBacca ~